Take your exam online - It's a great experience

Discussion in 'Becoming a Ham - Q&A' started by KB9YOJ, Jan 5, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KB9YOJ

KB9YOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

All-

I just upgraded to Extra. I studied for about a month with a "Fast Track" manual, which is chocked full of quizzes to keep you on track.

When it came time to do the exam, I looked at a conventional session and ultimately decided that I didn't want to wait. Online testing is great! I signed up for a test, and in 1 day I was registered and ready. I took my exam last night and this morning the FCC already filed the paperwork! Super fast! I'm impressed.

So, don't fear the online exams. I went with the Greater LA ARG VEC and they are awesome. The test software is really good.

Matt
    KB9YOJ

N6LSU, K4MID, W8VTN and 4 others like this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

That's great! Can you reply with a link so the folks wanting to do this will know?

Thanks!

Dave
    W7UUU

W8VTN, PU2OZT and K5EMG like this.
  3. KB9YOJ

Sure. Here is a link to all of the remote sessions from HamStudy.org : https://hamstudy.org/sessions/remote

Matt
    KB9YOJ

W7TCT and W7UUU like this.
  4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's not "online testing." It's "online sample tests" to help prepare for the actual test given by a VE.

W8VTN likes this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Thanks Steve... that's what I thought, and it's a VERY important distinction for any new hams reading this. I was sorta scratching my head about some online VE service that I maybe had missed.

It's a great way to test your readiness, but does NOT substitute taking the actual FCC-approved test with a VE

Dave
    W7UUU

W8VTN likes this.
  6. K6JEA

K6JEA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I’m still confused. Rereading the original post it really sounds like he took the test online.

K0UO likes this.
  7. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess I'm confused again.

8. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

C'mon guys, everybody slow down...and actually go to the link he provided. It does show actual on-line testing sessions.

No reason for confusion when the trail is followed. ;)

And congrats to the OP for the upgrade!

Regards,
    -Bruce

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
    K4MID, W8VTN, KB9YOJ and 1 other person like this.
  9. KB9YOJ

There is an Umbrella company called "Ham Stuff", and they own both "hamstudy.org" and "exam.tools". Officially used software for VEC's is maintained by Ham Stuff.

Sorry for any confusion. To clarify, I:
    • used the "Fast Track" manuals and QRZ.com study materials first.
    • Then when I was ready to take the official exam, I did a web-search for online testing and found the above info.
    Here is the link to the GLAARG VEC's online test sessions: https://hamstudy.org/sessions/glaarg/remote

Technician, General, and Amateur Extra exams are available!

Matt
    KB9YOJ

K4MID, W8VTN and KU4X like this.
  10. KB9YOJ

Thank you Bruce! I've been a ham 20 years and was excited to finally upgrade from General.

Matt
    KB9YOJ

K4MID and K9UR like this.