ad: ProAudio-1

Tablets and logging

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by W9YAP, Oct 1, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. W9YAP

W9YAP Ham Member QRZ Page

I am strongly considering getting a tablet for general shack use, such as QRZ/FCC lookups, Skeds, and viewing documents, articles, schematics for assembly at the workbench, etc.

I would also like to spread sheet and/or log my on air activity, QSO's, stations heard, etc.

Are any tablets (Android, ipad, etc.) ideal, and besides the QRZ logs what recommended programs/apps are available for tablets for logging info?
    Can sorting be performed in the logging programs? I am proficient with Excel and have spread sheeted QSOs in the past, but its a pain to paper it and then go to the home pc to do it.

I currently do all the non logging activities on my iPhone...obviously it's a complete pita:(

I am not interested in digital modes applications, such as HRD or interfacing with my Rig.

2. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you can get Excel on an Android tablet, you can probably run Excel-ADIF converter, which is a spreadsheet which can export its contents to an ADIF file. The user completely controls the headings, which are used as ADIF field tags, so you can make it comply with whatever online site you are trying to upload to. (eQSL, LoTW, etc.)

The way the macros are written, it exports the entire worksheet to ADIF, so it seems to be suited to logging in "batches", which you upload and then start with a clean worksheet.

However, if you wanted to keep all of your QSO's as a searchable master, all you would have to do is append the batch to the end of a different worksheet, then clear the contents of the batch.

If you don't need the ADIF export feature, just log your QSO's in the spreadsheet.

Here's a link to the author's page - http://www.dl1hw.darc.de/adif_en.html

The macros are written in VBA, so I do not know if the Android version of Excel supports this. If it does not, the same text-to-ADIF has been implemented by others as classic expressions. If the Android version supports macros, this would work, but would not have the button-based user interface of DL1HW's program.

3. W4POT

W4POT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I use an Android based tablet for my portable and mobile logging. If I have connectivity to the internet, I just use the Chrome browser and the QRZ logbook. My tablet has both WiFi and cellular radios built in.

If I don't have connectivity and want to log offline using an app running locally on the tablet, I use HamLog from Pignology. Later when I'm somewhere with connectivity I can upload the log to LoTW and QRZ.

Even if I'm online and using the QRZ logbook in Chrome I usually have HamLog running on the tablet for the other functions it supports.

I bought a Wolphi interface and the apps to support some digital modes using my tablet with my FT817 but I haven't used that setup alot and you indicated that wasn't a need for you.