System M-230 220Mhz programming cable

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KJ4LAA, Mar 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KJ4LAA

KJ4LAA Ham Member QRZ Page

You will find this radio on eBay in pairs for 220Mhz repeaters.

https://www.ebay.com/p/System-M-230...20-MHz/699441083?_trksid=p2047675.m4097.l9055 (System M-230 Repeater for Ham Amateur Radio 1.25 Meter 220 MHz | eBay)

The manual identifies it as a System M-230 Base Repeater QX-02B. The manual calls for a programming cable QXPL-02 which is a DB-9 to an RJ-45. I'm assuming the DB-9 shell has some electronics in it as well.
    The sticker on the radio says K-Band Base Repeater m-230. The radio appears identical to the Anytone AT-5189 which uses he P51 cable. But that failed to connect.

I'm going to order a Anytone USB Programming Cable for At-5888UV AT-778UV Mobile Radio and see it that works.

RT Systems who sell proprietary cables and software said they had not tested this radio and didn't seem to express any interest in it either. I'll hammer the Rep at the Huntsville Ham Fest this summer. HA!!!

When the other cable comes in I'll post my findings.

Has anyone had success with programming this model radio via software?

Craig
    KJ4LAA

2. VA2JE

VA2JE Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello, I have two repeaters with these radios. I purchased the cable and software to program these radios from RT for the Anytone AT-5189 radio. No they do not have the same pin in. If you look at the manual of both radios, you will find the manual Anytone RT-5189 in PDF. I contacted RT they seem + or - interested. But if all the worlds communicate with RT they will not end up making a LOL cable!

VA2JE / VE2MCJ
    Jean Mario (John Mario)
    Beyond the clouds, the future is here!

3. VA2JE

The respon from RT Systems is:

We do not have a cable that will work with this radio wiring and base on the manual it could use one of two circuit boards. If the 232 really means that it uses RS232 signal or does it simply mean that is the data and the levels are TTL. The cable needed for this radio requires a Ground, TX and RX data lines (3 wires) while the cable for the AT-5189 uses only 2 wires, one for Ground and the other for RX and TX.

You could purchase our USB-30 which might have the right circuit and then rewire it to match the radio. However I am not sure that would work.

But the real problems appears to be the radio, according to the manual the M-230 has 99 channels while the AT-5189 has 250. Based on this I would be really surprised if the AT-5189 software worked on the M-230.

My guess is the only thing similar between the two radios is the case.

4. VA2JE

So what the radio M-230 is just good for repeater on 220MHz.

It's good for me

73 VA2JE
    Jean Mario (John Mario)

5. VA2JE

I contated RTSystem and it's respond from them:

We do not have a cable that will work with this radio wiring and base on the manual it could use one of two circuit boards. If the 232 really means that it uses RS232 signal or does it simply mean that is the data and the levels are TTL. The cable needed for this radio requires a Ground, TX and RX data lines (3 wires) while the cable for the AT-5189 uses only 2 wires, one for Ground and the other for RX and TX.

You could purchase our USB-30 which might have the right circuit and then rewire it to match the radio. However I am not sure that would work.

But the real problems appears to be the radio, according to the manual the M-230 has 99 channels while the AT-5189 has 250. Based on this I would be really surprised if the AT-5189 software worked on the M-230.

My guess is the only thing similar between the two radios is the case.

Thanks
    Rod

RT Systems
    510 Compton St Suite 105
    Broomfield, CO 80020
    http://www.rtsystems.com
    303-586-6510

6. KO6N

KO6N Ham Member QRZ Page

I just acquired two of these radios to build a 220 repeater.

Anyone have any info like a service manual available or know where I could get one?

I plan to use a ID-O-Matic4 for the controller.
    I also would like to figure out how to change the power output to 15 watts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Gabe
    KO6N

7. VE2MLV

VE2MLV Ham Member QRZ Page

I had 2 radios on one of my repeaters in 220 and both died in less than a year .. In my opinion very bad quality.. No more for me

Mario VE2MLV