SWRs & Hot Water Heaters

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KF4SCI, Jul 14, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
  1. KF4SCI

KF4SCI Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps I'm just old & grumpy but I just heard someone say "SWRs" again. Yes, plural. I suppose it is possible to have more than one provided that you were checking or adjusting a multi-band antenna but I still cringe each time I hear it.
    It falls under the same category as Hot Water Heater... Does that imply a stolen water heater? I think it should be "water heater", or even "cold water heater". What would be the point of heating hot water?
    Or "ATM Machine"... It's simply "ATM" folks, the "M" stands for Machine. It's not an Automated Teller Machine Machine. Oh wait... perhaps an ATM Machine is a machine that makes ATMs. Hmmm.
    On a lesser scale I'm guessing it is like driving on the parkway & parking in the driveway.
    I also find it odd that people tend to take for granted that it's easier to cut a tree down before cutting it up.
    None of these observation are my fault. I've been taking prescription pain meds for decades.

K5BBC, K9ASE and K1OIK like this.
  2. KG5QBI

KG5QBI Subscriber QRZ Page

You found a system with a SWR that is magically flat across frequency? Or you still operate with only one crystal?

3. KG5QBI

Not saying it doesn't sound wrong, and isn't wrong unless multiple data points are recorded/provided, and you aren't talking about current point in time operation, but it just doesn't seem to rise to the level of the other examples for me.

4. KF4SCI

KF4SCI Ham Member QRZ Page

Not that I recall but when I check / adjust the SWR it is usually for one particular frequency. And yes, I still use crystals. Your point?

5. KG5QBI

Just saying that if you have trimmed a dipole or physically tuned an antenna, you probably have written down the SWR at target frequency, and band edges. So do we ignore that more than one data point exists? Do we overload a single acronym to handle singular and plural? I probably still have multiple SWR charts saved from one tri band antenna as installed at field day.

I guess the point is that a singular SWR value isn't that meaningful without the correlating data, like frequency it was sampled at, or antenna tuner settings. And once you have the other data, it tends to collect in sets, unless you have other artificial constraints.

6. KG5QBI

It just occurred to me that without a use case, is it maybe SWR's as a contraction instead of a plural?

WA4BCS likes this.
  7. WE4E

WE4E Ham Member QRZ Page

You worry about stuff too much.

Best 73's.

W7UUU, WE6C, K1TGX and 1 other person like this.
  8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you checked the RPMs of your automobile lately ?

K1FBI, KF4SCI and K1OIK like this.
  9. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What about, " I got into ham a year ago?"

W7UUU, KA0GKT, K7JEM and 1 other person like this.
  10. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

This one bothers me more than "SWR's."

How many minutes on those revolutions, eh?

KA9JLM likes this.