ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KB3SKU

KB3SKU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi i just now discovered a built in SWR meter in my 897D. I just recently put up a AR-270 Ringo (i think 270 is correct) with RG-58 coax,yes i know its not the greatest,but its temporary till i move in August.

Ok on to my problem/confusion when im on 146.700 the SWR hardly moves,depending which frequency im on it will either go to the 5th or 6th bar or go to the 1 or 2 bar.

I...I...I...I...I...I...I...I...I...I.........I..........I

the little thing above repersents what is on my screen on the 897D,when im on 146.700 the swr barely moves past the first "I" but when im on like 147.045 it will go like between the 5th and 6th "I". Now today when i found a new frequency wich is 147.225 it had a indicator on the screen saying HISWR and it was blinking that is the only one that did that so far. I was running 20watts cause i couldnt hit it any lower plus i was coming in scratching till i went to 20watts.

Now my question is,what is wrong? is it the coax or somthing? Im still learning here so please bare with me.Im not sure what to do besides of course get new coax but cant do that till August :( . Please help. Do i need to worrie about anything? i dont want to dmg the radio or anything.

I will be getting a SWR meter next month,its the one for the 897D with blue backlight.

I hope this is the correct place for this question.

2. K2QI

K2QI Ham Member QRZ Page

Your antenna isn't tuned properly. It could be a lot of things. Do you have a proper RF ground plane? I'd buy or borrow an antenna analyzer if I were you.

Your SWR seems to increase as you go up in frequency but is low at 146.70. Does your SWR reading stay flat as you go below 146.70? If it does, then you need to readjust your antenna by moving the element up. Normally increasing the length of your antenna brings resonance down, and decreasing the length brings your point of resonance up. Find out what the bandwidth is of your antenna at 2m and work from there.

BTW, any VHF SWR meter will work with your Yaesu. You don't have to buy anything special. In fact, you should probably spend money on this instead:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  3. KB3SKU

The antenna was given to me and the person told me it was pretuned but didnt tell me to what. To be honest i dont know how to do what ya said about moveing the element,i got no instructions for it. Is the element you speak of is it the black things on it? its a 2m/440 base antenna.

Just curious do you think i should take it down? the antenna i mean? I ask cause of the SWR i dont want to dmg my radio. What do you suggest?

I dont know anyone with a antenna analyzer :( Could you reccomend one that is under $100 and had a digital readout if any?

4. K2QI

K2QI Ham Member QRZ Page

Google 'AR-270 Ringo'. You do know how to use Google right? The PDF manual is the first link that pops up. Read it. There's a tuning chart listed on page 2. You will need to adjust the length by trial and error until you get an analyzer. In other words, start with the measurements listed in the antenna manual, go to the center of the band, and key up at 5w. Note your SWR. If it's high or low, adjust the antenna until the antenna is resonant at the middle of the band (or whatever operating frequency range you want).

If it's tuned properly, the SWR readings should stay within a specified range from band edge to band edge; i.e. 1.5 to 1.1 to 1.6 from edge to center to edge depending on antenna design.

As for an analyzer, look for used ones. I've seen MFJ-259's (HF to VHF) sell in the 100 dollar range before. The 269's which do HF, VHF and UHF are more expensive used, and I don't see those too often for sale. New, they cost a lot more than that.

5. K2QI

K2QI Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, one last thing... you can easily kill your finals operating full power into a non-resonant load. Always check your SWR before transmitting.

6. KB3SKU

Sorry,Yes i know how to use google.

I really need a Elmer cause i learn better if im taught by someone it seems,they just need to have patience.

For now as long as i dont go full power which is 20watts and 50watts i should be ok correct?

7. KB3SKU

i forgot to mention that the higher the power i go on certain frequencies the higher the SWR gets. Guess ill stick to only 5 watts for now.

8. K2QI

K2QI Ham Member QRZ Page

The SWR reading will get higher when you increase transmit power into an improperly tuned antenna. In a nutshell, power will be wasted by being reflected back to the transmitter if you try to transmit into an unmatched load. Both transmitter and antenna's should have matching impedances. You can achieve this by either tuning your antenna properly, or using a tuner to achieve impedance matching.

BTW, with a vertical I'd try to tune the antenna first before resorting to a tuner. A tuner can sometimes mask problems that you'd catch quickly if you spent time analyzing and perfecting your antenna installation. Just my opinion on that one...

9. KB3SKU

I just need to get the tools before i can do this stuff,lol i just wasn't prepared on how much stuff was needed to make things close to perfect in the Ham Radio World. Like tuners,analyzers,etc.

Curious the antenna i got from the person do you think i might have gotten a dud or wasnt really tuned? Kinda seems like it :(

10. K2QI

K2QI Ham Member QRZ Page

It's probably just not tuned very well. It's really hard to screw up an antenna, much less get a "dud." Spend some time and play with it. Go out, adjust, test, and repeat until it gets to the point where you need it to be. That's also the best way to learn. Don't buy anything except a quality PWR/SWR meter until you know what you're doing with this... you don't need anything fancy to adjust your antenna. Don't worry about blowing your radio up; just keep power low while you're tuning the antenna. Anything from 1.5 to less is fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.