SWR Meters UHF / VHF

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by M7MGO, Oct 24, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Quite true. Depends a lot on the internal design.

Many of the old "Midland/Calrad/Realistic/et al." CB SWR meters from the 60s and into the 70s were designs that will work fine at VHF and they're actually more sensitive at VHF than at HF because they used stripline couplers that had more coupling at higher frequencies; as such even a few watts at VHF could drive them to full-scale for the forward reading, although it might take more than 100W on 80m to do that.

I'd just "try it."

2. KJ4YEV

KJ4YEV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

pm30uv.jpg
    I use the Vectronics PM30UV. It has calibrated ranges for 2M, 1.25M, and 70cM. They don't cost much.

3. M7MGO

M7MGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for that recommendation . As I'm just starting out and only have a Hand held VHF/UHF set at present I'm not sure which bands I might get into in future as It's about £125 and a bit out of budget at present . there are ones which can cover the lower HF range up to 550mhz for similar money are they any good ?

4. KJ4YEV

KJ4YEV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not to my knowledge. They're either optimized for HF, or VHF/UHF as far as I know.