Swr meter for HF RADIO

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by W8ISK, Oct 17, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W8ISK

W8ISK Ham Member QRZ Page

I have two SWR Meters; a Siltronix Pm-15 and a Firebird PM-500-ts . I bought these thinking they are compatible with 80/75, 40, 20, 15 -and 10 meter phone (ssb) and CW. I am an old-timer using Hallicrafters SSB rigs and want to know that they will handle 400 INPUT Watts PEP. Which will work? Thanks, w8isk. Ray. Best HF rig is a SR-500 transceiver. W8isk@aol.com

2. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  3. KW4H

KW4H Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The Siltronix PM-15 will handle up to 1500 watts, and the Fire Bird up to 500. The Siltronix is reportedly good for 3.5 to 30 MHz, not sure about the Fire Bird.

73 - Steve

4. KA5IPF

KA5IPF Ham Member QRZ Page

My thoughts; Old school radios deserve old school methods. They didn't have an SWR meter they used an RF Ammeter inline from radio to antenna. Tune for max rf amps.

5. W8ISK

I like your suggestion! Thanks, ray

6. W8ISK

Steve, thanks! I'm thinking of using the two Siltronix back to back; xmtr to #1 forward then to#2 set to reverse swr. Like an MFJ but seperate meters. Think it will work? Ray

7. W8ISK

I'd like to grab the SWR as my Vertical is 10 to 80 meters and I will be using a tuner, either a Murch 2000 Or a Bandmaster Z-Match. I answered Steve, KW4H , above with a question about using two Siltronix side by side, #1 from xmtr set to forward coax coupled to #2 set for reverse then to Tuner. Any thoughts on this? Like an MFJ but two seperate meters. Ray.

There are no Elmers near me so this forum and experienced hams are a great benefit.

KA0HCP likes this.
  8. KW4H

A little confused -- I thought you only had one Siltronix? Also, I've never tried SWR meters in a configuration like that -- what's the purpose? The Siltronix has a forward and reverse switch. Also, that Fire Bird has FWD/REV and SWR in one unit -- why use both meters?

73 - Steve

9. W8ISK

Hi Steve, yes second siltronix is available but case is rough, needs some TLC. Reason for two is to read both simultaneously like a cross needle but two side by side.

10. KW4H

I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work. In my shack, I have a SWR meter on the desk and the antenna auto-tuner I use has built-in power and SWR measurement circuitry for its own purposes. Theoretically, I have two SWR/Wattmeters in the line. And, actually, there's a third if you count the SWR/Wattmeter built in to the K-3.

Steve, KW4H