SWL Corner (Discussion Forums)

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by TA7AOF, Dec 14, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. TA7AOF

TA7AOF Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi dear all;

I have been dealing with SDR and SWL since the day we moved into the new house. I live in turkey. There are quite a few young enthusiastic amateur radio operators here. But not all of them are as lucky as me. When I became a radio operator in 2012, HF transceiver and antenna were given to me free of charge. I have been an amateur radio operator for 8 years.

Let's get back to our topic. Conditions in Turkey, unfortunately, is a dream to get radio. 1 dollar = 8 Turkish liras. the minimum wage is $ 296. (2.324 TL). Many can not even get it. This is why young radio operators cannot speak in shortwave. Even SDR is 250-300 Turkish lira with customs fees.

I have a good project for these young people. Listening to short waves with SDR, doing all of them SWL and getting award, DXCC. SWL contest and more.

I've collected a few awards for now. SX2500S, SX40ARES, XMAS, YOTA etc ..
    I could not find any SWL corner in the forum. Can a corner be established where we can learn more about SWL, where SWL amateurs contribute and help? or is there such a place? Because I am not very experienced in SWL.

and finally. What are your suggestions for these young people? We are talking about about 400 certified young people.

73 de TA7AOF
    TA728042(SWL), 4L/TA7AOF, 1B/TA7AOF, Z66Y, 9A0YOTA

NQ8J, N1VAU, F8WBD and 1 other person like this.
  2. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd love to see an "SWL Corner" section added to the forum, and would post there regularly. SWL used to be a VERY common way to introduce ham radio..... and is a fascinating subject in it's own right.

Contrary to what some uniformed folks seem to think, SW is far from dead nowadays. There are a lot of stations on the air. Many of them are not directly beamed to the US like they used to be, but they can still be heard. I picked up the BBC / Ascention Island the other day, and listen to Mali, Turkey, Romania, and many others quite often.

N1VAU, F8WBD, WZ7U and 1 other person like this.
  3. WW2E

WW2E Ham Member QRZ Page

For those who would enjoy a trip down SWL memory lane, you can download the audio here.

[​IMG]

W4NNF, TA7AOF, F8WBD and 1 other person like this.
  4. TA7AOF

TA7AOF Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for your answers. I think the SWL corner will be nice.

KK4NSF likes this.
  5. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I still SWL. Great activity for virus shut-ins!

TA7AOF and KK4NSF like this.
  6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

If you type "shortwave listening" into your search engine any number of sites come up with good information. I started as an SWL and still enjoy it.

TA7AOF and KK4NSF like this.
  7. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

OK.... to help make a SWL Corner a reality, I started a thread in the official "Recommendations" section of the forums:
    https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/swl-sub-forum.739463/

If enough folks go there and express an interest, maybe the Mods will grant our wish.

TA7AOF likes this.