SWL Cards

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K5SPP, Sep 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

As you say, OMMV. (or " YOUR mileage may vary.:(") But when our committee meets (or at least through the last Sunspot cycle) once month, with limited space (usually at one member's house) handling over a hundred QSL's (with logging confirmation through ring binders for each of seven operating stations,) we WERE, to put it explicitly, EXHAUSTED. Now if YOU want to join, and handle the QSL cards for our club during the next few years, including the upcoming sunspot cycle maximum in a few years, YOU are more than welcome to do so. Some of us had actual JOBS and/or family to tend to at the time.
    And just to be accurate, we did NOT have a "friendly postal person" to pick up mail; it ALSO required a trip to the "local" postal station (and most [closest] have been closed) to send over 100 items. You are welcome to apply for the job.

P.S. It ALSO requires retrieving the QSL requests from a P.O. Box. They do NOT just "magically" appear in YOUR mailbox. Our current P.O. postal station is ONLY open from 9:00 AM to Noon, only on weekdaze. Can YOU retrieve the mail there and hold a real full-time job at the same time???

2. WA9SVD

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

It's just the truth of the matter. I can't give details as Larry has said.

Just know it's a very small club with a station that everyone wants to work - leave it at that.

Larry has made it clear he doesn't want the club name mentioned as he's not the spokesman etc.

Dave
    W7UUU

4. WA9SVD

FWIW, YOU are welcome to YOUR opinions.

IF you want the policy changed, you are welcome to become a member of the club, and once elected, (or through other procedures in our by-laws) change the policies through voting by our Board of Directors (AND members) as detailed in our bylaws. But it has not wanted or needed to be changed in 40 years. I'm sure there are other stations, DXpeditions, or clubs that have similar policies. Again. YMMV.

P.S. I will suggest to our station manager that if we do NOT send to SWL only, it could be noted on the web page. But that may take a few months for an update, if it is decided to be required. OR, with a new station manager, (the original manger was SK @ 96 years young) the policy may be changed. But as it stands now, that is the policy.

P.P.S. In respect to David, (after all, he IS a moderator,) I will probably not respond further.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    W7UUU likes this.
  5. WA9SVD

6. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have had a few cards sent my way. I think they get a kick out of my callsign. I got a few reports from Europe and Germany seems to lead the pack. Few Italians.Not many in the US for some odd reason.

7. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

No disrespect intended, sir. I just don't understand. To me, the policy seems unjustified and arbitrary. There is surely a solution you folks could live with that would not slight SWLs. There is an old Clint Eastwood movie, Heartbreak Ridge, where when speaking of problems he opines "You improvise, you adapt, you overcome." Problems are meant to be solved, not ignored.

As for joining your club, that would be neat, except that you're on the west coast and I'm on the east coast. I'd have a heck of a time making club meetings. :p

KC1NY likes this.
  8. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't blame your club for not responding to SWL requests. Especially when they had the large format QSL. It was such a desirable card that it could generate more SWL requests from those who tried and didn't get a contact or those who just heard a QSO. It's nice to provide such a special card but there is a price to pay (in work) for having such a card and there has to be some reasonable limits to what the members have to do to provide such a nice QSL. The solution to not receiving an SWL card is to wait what ever time is necessary and make a contact with said station and follow the QSL instruction.

I do agree with others though who mentioned that it would be a good idea to prominently state on your QRZ page that you do not respond to SWL requests.

W7UUU likes this.
  9. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

No.
    Not always.
    QSL means "I am acknowledging receipt."
    A "QSL card" from an SWL is "acknowledging receipt" of (reporting) the signal(s) heard.
    Sending a "QSL card" in response is "acknowledging receipt" of the SWL's report.
    ;)

KC1NY and K3XR like this.
  10. WA9SVD

I will respond to this: I will suggest that the club website reflect the policy that we do NOT respond to SWL requests, (at least not at this time, or for the last 40 years.) If the policy changes (we do now have "souvenir Cards" that are not QSL cards, that may be appropriate.) But that will be up to the station manager, and ultimately to the club's directors. It's not MY decision.
    To be honest, we only get 2-5 SWL cards per YEAR, so the actual volume isn't great, but with the volume of real QSL cards sometimes experienced on a monthly basis, it is difficult and time consuming to differentiate. I do NOT nor did I set the policy; I just try to follow it.

K8BZ likes this.