SWL Cards

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K5SPP, Sep 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't mention the actual club call because I'm not the official "spokesperson." They can get upset if I say something that isn't PC or "official.":(:rolleyes:

Next time you can schedule a visit, let me know; first here, and I'll get it OK'd by the Station Manger.

W7UUU likes this.
  2. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I can understand No SASE=No QSL for financial reasons but you're saying that if they DO send an SASE you will only send an apology instead of a card. That's the part I don't get.

WZ7U likes this.
  3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

As I said, 40 years ago, the club and original station manager (now SK) made that decision. I'm not responsible for THEIR decision. In other words, "DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER.":(:rolleyes:

P.S. A QSL card is designed to report a complete contact between two (or more) amateur stations. That is NOT the case with an SWL. Again, YMMV.

4. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

In 2008 I started putting a note that I received an SWL card in the Comments field of my N3FJP log for the QSO referenced in the SWL card. Then I can just enter SWL in the Comment field and click SEARCH and it will return a list of QSO's I received an SWL card for.

I have received 19 SWL cards via the bureau since 2008 for CW, SSB and RTTY QSO's. I'm sure I probably missed making a note of some of them and I didn't make notes before 2008. I went on the air in 1971 and was a ham while in the Navy on Guam from 1972 to 1976 and received lots of SWL cards while on Guam. I still get them in almost every set of Bureau cards received.

The ARRL Outgoing QSL Service will forward responses to SWL QSL requests, for those who use the service.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  5. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh my, Yes! I don't know how many SWL cards I have from the former Soviet Union.

SWL.jpg

KE4YOG, WZ7U and WA4CZD like this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Back when the sun had a bad complexion, my 3-watt 10-meter beacon was heard the world over and I'd regularly get SWL cards in the mail (no SASE required for my beacon reception reports) - also via email as well. To date I've received maybe 30 since the beacon went on the air - best DX being Australia and Greenland.

28.2778 is the officially registered frequency, if you want to listen for it and get a QSL card :) All I ask is a complete transcription of the entire beacon message, date and time.

Dave
    W7UUU

KE4YOG likes this.
  7. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

There is something most "free world" amateur radio hobbyist may not know - getting a private amateur radio license - to own and operate transmitter - for may years after WWII was a political . not a technical "privilege" .
    Yes, I used to send my SWL cards too.
    It was "magic of amateur radio " to receive replies.
    Even then the "rate of return" was not too impressive.
    After reading some mail here I do understand why some OF's / OM's have an issue replying to ANY QSL requests.
    Perhaps things have not changed much last 50 or so years.

73 Shirley ex OK1 1902

KE4YOG and KP4SX like this.
  8. KH8AC

KH8AC Ham Member QRZ Page

I think a reply to a QSL is a nice courtesy. Of coarse it should cost you nothing.

Is it not hard enough to get a regular QSL for an amateur contact ? I wanted to collect grid squares from Connecticut and started to send out QSL's with SASE's. Almost zero anything came back. All the 'new Tech' that seemed to think a reply was just being a stupid idiot.

Hey..too much to just return the SASE saying nothing ?

People collect all kinds of things. Anything wrong with a QSL ? Years later they bring back memories.

Of coarse depending how popular your station is there can be a burden. Recruit a Manager.(for nothing)

Next time you get NO QSL say from a Contest Station for example any points in the next contest ? (from you) These days records and lists are so easy.

No requirement to QSL. Just a courtesy. (an opinion)

9. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The station in question is extremely popular - they get THOUSANDS of card requests a year from the stations they actually work on the air as contacts

As @WA9SVD has made very clear, the club that runs this popular station recognized this over 40 years ago and established a simple rule: QSL cards for actual contacts only. The cost for those cards (which are NICE! I have two of them, my wife has one) is higher than just "cheap QSLs.com" - they probably get an additional thousand requests a year for SWL cards - heck, maybe even more. They run on a shoestring budget with a dwindling club membership, participation, and funding. I know all of this from personally visiting their club station and being an operator there on two occasions.

Just cut them some slack... I'm sure if they were rolling in dough they'd be happy to oblige. Oh, and "returning the SASE"? That costs 49 cents! That's why they tuck a note inside the SASE and mail it back. I totally understand not wanting to pay 49 cents to return an unused SASE.

Think 'very high volume popular station' and you can hopefully imagine their situation.

Not speaking for Larry or for the club involved - but I'm pretty sure I'm stating facts here as I'm sharing my own opinion in the process.

Dave
    W7UUU

KE4YOG likes this.
  10. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Frankly I've never heard of anyone paying to send back an SASE. That would be utterly silly! Its 55c nowadays, btw.
    I don't think I've received a US SWL QSL in decades and I suspect the majority of SWL requests for 'that station's card' are from foreign listeners. The old rule applies no green stamp, no card. But if they send a couple of bucks and an SAE that's plenty enough to cover their nice card. Yes, I know who we are talking about.
    I don't know what some guy 40 years ago had against SWLers and created such a draconian policy. But they are free to do as they choose and don't need any justification.

KE4YOG likes this.