SWL Cards

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K5SPP, Sep 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess I'm the odd-man-out here. I only send paper QSL cards nowadays, and as a result I get quite a few in return. It's not that I'm opposed to E-QSL Cards, or Bureaus or whatever, because I'm not. It's just that I enjoy sending paper cards out, and getting them in return. It feels more tradtional.... perhaps a reminder of where we came from.

Then again, I don't go for massive numbers of QSOs via FT-8, or contest-style operating. I tend to go more for quality contacts with a bit of conversation, than for numbers and as a result I don't have a large number of cards to send.

2. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

In the "goode olde dayes", a number of European countries, especially the old Soviet Union, required a substantial number of amateur radio QSL cards to be received by an SWL before he / she would be allowed to take the examination for an amateur radio operator's license.

Each country had specific SWL call signs assigned to each SWL "operator" and that call was supposed to be entered on the returned QSL card.

Over the years, I have received a pretty fair number of these SWL reports and the vast majority were from SWLs in the old Soviet Union. Of course, the returned cards had to be addressed to "Box 88, Moscow".

Glen, K9STH

3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Our club doesn't normally respond to SWL cards; if an SASE IS included, an apology is sent. At my personal station, if I get a SWL card with an SASE (or SAE+ postage, since I print out my own cards) I have designed "received only" cards that I can send. Since I haven't had an HF antenna in a few years, most of my operating is at our club station.

WD4CHP likes this.
  4. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What is the reason for not responding?

K3XR likes this.
  5. WA9SVD

That is the policy decided upon by our club and the original station manager many (actually, 40) years ago.. If an SASE (or SAE with proper postage) is NOT received with a card, they will not get a response. (As I said above, IF they include an SASE, they will get an apology that it is not our policy to send SWL only cards.) The same goes for regular QSL cards for amateur contacts. If no SASE (or SAE + postage) is received, we are sorry, but NO QSL can be sent. At more than 100 requests per month at times, we simply can NOT afford to send out QSL cards at OUR expense. Of course, YMMV.

6. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

and if it's the club I believe you are referring to, who's station I've visited and operated from a couple of times as your guest, I'd say you probably have VERY GOOD reason. I suspect you get tonnage of SWL cards in fact - and it would be overwhelming and expensive keeping up with them when I know your club operates on a limited budget...

Could be wrong - but that's my guess...

Dave
    W7UUU

WA9SVD likes this.
  7. WA9SVD

Thanks, Dave. You hit the "nail on the head!" Greetings to you and Anne.:D

W7UUU likes this.
  8. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Thanks Larry - you've been a very gracious host for us and we appreciated the time. Hoping that come January, and I will have need to be in the area again, I'll be able to come visit again - maybe the sun will have a spot or two by then and we'll have a chance for more contacts.

Take care

Dave
    W7UUU

9. WA9SVD

Hi Dave,

I was on medical leave there for over a year, until I FINALLY got a total hip replacement. (Otherwise it was too painful to walk even to some grocery stores.) Since surgery, I have returned to the club station at least once a month, and if you keep in touch, I'll do my best to meet you and Anne when you visit in January. :cool:

P.S. Thanks for your service here @ QRZ.:cool:

W7UUU likes this.
  10. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Golly! I think I know that club too!

Not all that hard to figure out. Gonna be down that way next month. Probably no time to visit though. Maybe next time...

W7UUU likes this.