ad: portazero-1

SWL Cards

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K5SPP, Sep 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. K5SPP

K5SPP Ham Member QRZ Page

Just got a packet of QSL cards in the mail from the 'W5' bureau guys (thank you, as always!), and in it was an SWL card from a listener in Germany. Very cool! Now granted, it was a QSO from 2015 I had with a ham in the US, but still, very cool.

Any of y'all still get SWL cards? I think they are neat. Yea, this one is 4 years and change old, but I will reply.

73, K5SPP
    Mark

N2SUB, K9ASE and K3XR like this.
  2. KA0GKT

KA0GKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have on occasion received an SWL cardto my amateur station, but I get Medium Wave DXer cards at work all the time. I reply to them too.

N6HCM likes this.
  3. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

In 50+ years of hamming, received an SWL card maybe once or twice. OTOH, I get PITA cards from the gov't all the time. :p

W1TRY likes this.
  4. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

I actually get them quite frequently from folks who listen to satellite passes but aren't set-up to transmit via satellite. I always send them a card acknowledging their reception of my transmission. SWL is what got me interested in the amateur radio back when I was 12-13 years-old and when my Dad brought home a shortwave receiver he borrowed from a coworker. Thanks Dad... you've helped pass on the radio but to my generation and to the generation of your grandchildren... and that's a good thing!

5. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't get them as frequently as in the past but there's one every now and then. Same on eQSL.

6. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

Like KP4SX, I receive one every now-and-then in packets from the buro.
    Like most buro cards, they're usually at least a few years old.
    But --as someone who started out as an SWL in the 1960's-- I always respond.
    Also because in some countries one needs to document a certain achievement level as an SWL to qualify for a ham license.
    ;)

KA0HCP likes this.
  7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Receive them from time to time. Receive SWL cards for the 10 meter K3XR/B beacon. More so when the band is open.

8. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

I received one in the last 10 years or so. As I operate CW almost exclusively, it’s rare to get one unless you are a phone op. I was impressed to see an SWL who could copy Morse code until I realized he was using a reader.

9. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I still do occasionally, including on eQSL. :)

10. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

One or two. The ones I got were for digimodes, interestingly enough.

I don't understand people SWLing digimodes on the ham bands -- I would expect someone interested enough to set up the receiver and software to just go ahead and get their license? Maybe licensing isn't as easy in other parts as it is in the US...

I haven't seen any SWL cards for FT8 yet -- I suspect anybody attempting that would go broke very quickly. :p