Switching quickly between SK and paddles?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KD8ZM, Dec 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KF9VV

KF9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

Been bouncing between key and paddles on a IC-7410. I like the way the ICOM handles it.

Straight key on back and paddles on front. Set speed knob on front to something comfortable. I can switch between the two without touching the radio.

I had been using a Logitek partly because it is a keyer that is well known for being low error. I am happy to report the keying software in the IC-7410 is as good. The only thing missing is the radio does not indicate keyer speed, which is not a problem for me.

2. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

My 'Kenmore' TS850S has a keyer built-in but, I've never used it. Instead, I use my K1EL WinKeyer USB. That's mainly b'cuz, it interfaces to my logger/keyer program and fixes the struggle over the ports caused by Windoze. It turns out on its own, it is a VERY nice keyer. In addition to CW output, it has PTT output (for TWO rigs). It's not necessary to use MOX or VOX (for semi break-in). I use a Y-adapter to use a straight key. The only down side to that is, my straight key needs MOX or VOX.

Other than that, WinKeyer runs circles around EVERYTHING else. :)

3. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Both tests showed open circuits, except when the paddle is actuated. Guess I'll need to dig further into the KX3 manual (which undoubtedly will say nothing about this, but perhaps someone in a forum somewhere will have?) later, and see what I can figure out. Thank you for your help!

4. K2CAJ

K2CAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi,

Did both tests (tip and ring) show a closed circuit when the paddle is actuated? If so, are the ring and tip connected to one another?

If I'm not mistaken, the ring could be completely unconnected and the tip-sleeve used as the keyer output/KX3 input, and it should work.

5. KD8ZM

Yes, they showed a closed circuit when the paddle was activated. No, the ring and tip did not show a connection to each other, except when the keyer was keyed.

6. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've found the KX3 side jacks to be "fussy" about some 3.5mm plugs.

Is the KX3 end of the cable plugged all the way in? I know it sounds like a long shot, but if the external equipment isn't shorting the key input, this might cause it.

KD8ZM likes this.
  7. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The PicoKeyer probably uses solid-state switching of some sort, rather than a relay. So, it is possible that a DMM check could show an open, then, with the test leads reversed, show a closed circuit. (This assumes the DMM voltage used for resistance measurements is similar to the KX3's voltage at the key input -- it may not be.)

Try the same two tests on Tip / Sleeve and Ring / Sleeve, but this time reverse the DMM leads, for a total of four measurements.

If all four tests show open, I am completely at a loss. Make a custom 2-conductor cable and write the event off as a mystery...

8. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

Right. I was thinking "defibrillator" :eek:

[​IMG]

He's clear.

No he's gone.

He's back.

Nope SK.

etc, etc.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    KD8ZM likes this.
  9. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

HI BRADY,

YOU OLE CW RASCAL,
    GOOD TO SEE YOU POUNDING
    THE BEAT HERE ON QRZ.

BRADY, GIVE THESE SITES
    A LOOK SEE TO FIND OUT IF
    ANYONE ON THE PAGES
    CAN HELP YOU OUT WITH YOUR
    QUESTIONS.
    IC 7300.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/groups/110389536041840/

https://www.dxzone.com/dx31697/ic-7300-yahoo-group.html

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/KX3/info?guccounter=1

https://www.facebook.com/Elecraft.KX3.Fans/

BRADY, TAKE GOOD CARE OF YOURSELF AND
    PSE BE SURE TO GIVE THAT RASCAL ORANGE HAIR
    CAT
    DONALD A BIG HUG
    FOR ME.

I WILL BE LOOKING FOR YOU ON THE BANDS.

BIG BIRD WAVE.gif
    N9HI_Have_a_Nice_Day.gif 73 K1LKP.jpg
    Santa and animated reindeer.gif

KD8ZM likes this.
  10. KD8ZM

Hi Carmen! I knew it had to be you when I saw you referenced Donald, the orange-haired cat. He is doing FB - up to about ten pounds of pure muscle now. As far as I know, he doesn't work out at all, just lays around sleeping and hunting mice in the garage. It must be nice to get those kind of results with no effort!
    Always great to hear you on CW or on QRZ! I hope you have restored your 1,300 foot loop to its usual state, after the tree incident (which you told me about in our last QSO).
    I'll pass your regards on to Donald!
    Brady