Switching quickly between SK and paddles?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KD8ZM, Dec 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KF9VV

KF9VV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I really like my Logitek on the days I feel like pushing speed beyond my straight key speed.

The Logitek has a low error rate. I also like the feature set it has. I was torn between it and a K1EL keyer, and went with a Logitek so I could do low level contesting with paper logging. I ended up just liking it.

KD8ZM and N5XH like this.
  2. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks and here's a followup question. You say "my only complaint is that the sidetone is too quiet"; why do you need a sidetone to be generated by the keyer at all, rather than just listening to the sidetone that the radio generates when you are keying it on the air? (I've never used an external keyer before so there is probably something obvious that I'm missing, here).
    Is the HamGadgets keyer easily adjusted for speed? The idea of just turning the speed up and down via a knob is a lot more appealing to me than the complicated "programmable" speed and other setting that one sees all too often these days in cheap ham gadgets. So, how do you view the keyer from a simplicity standpoint? Many thanks.

3. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You only need the sidetone if you are using the keyer for standalone practice. When you have it hooked up to a radio that provides sidetone, this is irrelevant.

The Ultra Pico keyer has a knob to control speed. It's simple to use. It does have a menu system to let you program the min and max speeds set by the knob if you don't like the default range, but you wouldn't do that often, if ever. I've forgotten what the default range is, but it's reasonable.

KD8ZM likes this.
  4. K2CAJ

K2CAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For some reason I parsed SK as "Silent Key."

And I thought, "if you're switching rapidly between SK and using paddles, you might have plugged it into the wrong socket."

KD8ZM likes this.
  5. KF9VV

KF9VV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Got to stand up for the Logitek again. It has a knob for speed, the side tone can be turned off, speed pot can have its range defined, compatible with modern rigs and grid block.

Not cheap, but very good.

The pico looks pretty darn good, too.

KD8ZM likes this.
  6. KD8ZM

LOL - now I know why people go silent when I'm having a QSO and say I'm sending via a SK. Probably think I'm conducting a seance or something?

K2CAJ likes this.
  7. KD8ZM

OK, I now have one on order. This is going to be fun! Thanks everyone and 73.

8. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice little keyer.

FWIW, since you use the rig's sidetone there's a menu option on the Ultra Pico Keyer to disable sidetone which is a good idea with a rig that generates its own sidetone since the sidetone out of the keyer is a bit harsh.

AG6QR and KD8ZM like this.
  9. KD8ZM

Reading between the lines, it sounds like it has a speaker built in? If it's the sort of pcb speaker I'm thinking of, then I agree "harsh" is the right word!

10. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yup, though 'piezoelectric sounder' is probably closer to the point. But yeah your rig almost certainly has a nicer sounding sidetone.

KD8ZM and AG6QR like this.