swarms

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KD8ZM, Aug 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. IK4EWX

IK4EWX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Lane! Glad to find you like my gears and the nice people on my qrz.com page!
    I also agree very much your beautiful shack with a lot of great US ham gears (that I prefer) and some boatanchors!
    I had the TS530S as my first trx, a great rig that I liked very much.
    But sure would be very nice a qso with your Drake Line 7 gears or even better with the chirpy and drifty TX&RX at the right of your operating position ;)
    I like qso chirpy and drifty - but not too much ;) - old tx/rx !
    But see that you also use a nice military Cubic rx!
    Hope to listen you on 30 or 20m, or late in the night on 40m, and sure I will call you for a rag chew with your J36!
    73 oc de Ian Ik4EWX

N8AFT likes this.
  2. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

QSL!

3. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The biggest tip I ever got for sending with a bug was from ol' Bob Hertzberg, K4JBI. He said to tap the "dah" key instead of pressing it. Makes it a lot easier to send dahs at the correct speed.

N8AFT likes this.
  4. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

We all have our philosophies and opinions. Mine is that this is a hobby and should be fun, so if someone who can't send with a bug insists on using one anyway instead of a SK or paddle, I look for an opportunity to BUG out. :)
    It's nothing personal against bugs: I also don't listen to violinists who can't hit the notes mostly correct and don't care to improve.
    If o
    Sounds kind of like a violinist who hasn't practiced to be able to hit the notes correctly, but demands to join the symphony anyway? But in that case the audience isn't obligated to listen to them. Some would say that in ham radio, on the other hand, the audience is obligated. :)

5. KQ4MM

KQ4MM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been keyed as many times as I have been bugged :eek: ... Seriously within my speed limit ( which is pretty slow) I will QSO with any CW OP as long as I can copy them, if it gets too bad I just bug out like OM Brady says ... as far as sending, Im a cootie guy and practice weekly with a Begali cw machine to make sure Im sending clean code ( no swing here)

KD8ZM and N8AFT like this.
  6. N8AFT

Swings are for kids... :p

KD8ZM and KQ4MM like this.
  7. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Good policy! I've often thought that if some of these guys just recorded themselves and tried to decode their own sending, they'd quickly realize that they need to improve. There's really not much excuse for sending bad code, in these days when there are so many resources.

KG7WGX and N8AFT like this.
  8. N8AFT

OM Dan, NI9Y, recorded my "fist" and emailed it to me bk when I first got started on CW.
    Pretty eye opening to Not be able to decypher one's own sending!

WB5YUZ and KD8ZM like this.
  9. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The first time I recorded my own fist, I used a compact reel-to-reel recorder I kept around my listening post (didn't have a real shack yet) to record SWBC programs off the air. Now I use my iPhone. Quite a bit of change over those 43 years!

KD8ZM likes this.