swarms

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KD8ZM, Aug 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KT0G

KT0G Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe part of the problem is listening to machine generated CW for copying practise, such as I have over the last few years. I often times have problems decoding bug or cootie sent code. I can usually catch the SKCC exchange, but any rag chewing and I get lost quick.

2. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

He sent; "Used a keyer for 30 years but now trying my first Bug"
    I am reading on the SKCC (straight key club) forums and reflectors where new club members are converting from years of using keyer paddles to Bugs, and struggling to make the bugs work properly. :D
    They are not taking enough time practicing off-air before launching into QSOs !!!
    I hear high speed DITs, variable length DAHs and fractured words and letters where the op hesitates in the middle of letters and words.
    It's kind of a guessing game to the actual text attempted, but I usually can figure it out :D

N8AFT likes this.
  3. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Seems the vy first place to begin with in using a Bug is to learn HOW to adjust one for the speed you're going to send at.

KD8ZM likes this.
  4. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, it was a joke, but actually, a pun. It would be unreasonable to expect a non-native English speaker to understand a pun in the way it was intended.

N8AFT likes this.
  5. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Great point! Or re-worded slightly, "if you can't adjust your bug down to a speed where you can send good code, then use something other than a bug to send with."
    My opinion is, if you're a beginner, or are handicapped, or are "aged to perfection," or whatever is slowing you down, then it's incumbent on all of us to be patient and QSO with you at whatever speed you can send, even if it's 5 wpm.
    I don't believe we have an obligation to try to copy someone who is sending faster than they're able.

KQ4MM and N8AFT like this.
  6. N8AFT

Well put...

KD8ZM likes this.
  7. IK4EWX

IK4EWX Ham Member QRZ Page

It is not a pun or a joke, really. It is otherwise a pity that there are "hams" that doesnt undestood that
    camaraderie, spirit of group and tradition, international friendship, make you accept the differences, including good and bad cw, as strong qro and little qrp in the noise.
    Up to 20 years ago hams listened drifting, chirping, tight or too spaced cw characters– and they decoded all.
    I think part of the problem is the use/abuse of pc decoders, skimmers and…. FT8 - and sometime a "listening people" without enought ham spirit or without enought CW know how for head decoding.
    I listen many new bugs users on the air, with different cw quality, but all understandable, so all nice for me to qsos.
    Anyway I dont want be unfriendly, and friendly suggest you "bug's critics" to read the annex below article, with a lot of old wisdom.
    73, Ian IK4EWX

Attached Files:

8. N8AFT

Yer shorts too tight OM?
    Taking a harmless JOKE / PUN far too seriously friend...
    We all get along "over here" for the most part.
    Good natured ribbing and jesting is part of our culture.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    KD8ZM likes this.
  9. IK4EWX

IK4EWX Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry.
    Can it be N8AFT, and it wasnt my purpose.
    But I dont like that somebody joke about the hard work that a lot of new bugs operators (great thing!) are making for operating this wonderful instrument that is the bug.
    With the effect of discouraging them.
    In this time of FT8-FT4-skimmers, every new operator of this not easy instruments is a great thing.
    Everybody can use iambic, el key, bug, cootie or straght key.
    At the best permitted by their skills, without anybody making fun of them.
    The problem of setting a bug is not a problem, everybody can see the annex instructions by GM4GZQ to set a bug, or use the old US Army Signal Corps manual.
    Becoming a good bug's operator require time end lot of exercise: some days on the dummy load and many more days on the air making qsos with people helpful ;)
    IK4EWX

Attached Files:

10. N8AFT

Ian; Yer bio page is the Best! Lot of good stuff, people and many real nice Bugs!