swarms

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KD8ZM, Aug 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, hot summer day today and I've never heard so many bad bugs!

N7BKV likes this.
  2. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

My wife was recently bitten by two skeeters. (They died)).
    Unusual here.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

KD8ZM likes this.
  3. AA8NN

AA8NN Ham Member QRZ Page

The crickets really came out in big numbers the last couple of weeks here.

KD8ZM likes this.
  4. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

BAD BUGS! HI HI HI, I GET IT OM!
    TNX FER LAUGHS..... :p

VY 73 Lane

ND6M and KD8ZM like this.
  5. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

We had skeeters but the dragonflies ate them all.

6. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Lane, they were really out in astounding numbers yesterday for some reason! Made for some very short QSOs!

N8AFT likes this.
  7. KF9VV

KF9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

I heard it too. I refuse to use a bug, as I know I would be terrible with one.

The recent bad bug swarm has encouraged me to go back to daily sending practice with the paddle.

KD8ZM and N8AFT like this.
  8. IK4EWX

IK4EWX Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that lot of people today is used to electronic keys, unable to use SK & BUGS, and are unused to manual keys sounds.
    Some, even badder, decode only with pc, so are very critic about those that use bugs, that are difficult to be decoded by pc for the swingy sounds ( no perfect machine 1:1:3).
    Obviously it is easy to be critic when using keyers or keyboard and when found uneasy to decode manual CW, with pc or with head...
    Yesterday I had a qso with a DL 85 yrs OT.
    He had problems, memory and hand.
    I had been happy to had qso with him.
    It has been a pleasure for me even his sounding "difficulty" cw.
    I had to widen space between letters and make log dash with my Frattini J36 bug, becouse it didnt go lower than 20wpm and I ought work lower speed him, around 15 wpm and little less.
    Sure lot of people had problems to decode my cw with their PC or their narrow mind and ears ;)
    But it is not a problem for me, becouse HIM understood well and immediately my slowed CW, with long dashes and wider spaces.
    I like to receive from 15 to 40 wpm and I like to transmit from 25 wpm down to 13-15 wpm with my bugs, at this last speeds with loooonnnng dashes and wiiiiiide spaces, when necessary for a novice or an old timer with age problems.
    Really, I dont like these arguments, not very fit for amateur radio.
    The "bugs swarm", "bad bugs", "skeeters", are not cw arguments, are a contradiction for an amateur radio and bad manner of people without ham spirit.
    Really them seem more adeguate on badder cb bands.
    Sorry, I dont want attak anybody, I suggest you to be more fit to ham spirit.
    Ian IK4EWX, H.S.C. member nr. 1386 from 1986 & BUG USERS GROUP member

N3PDT and K5TSK like this.
  9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Prior to the advent of the electronic keyers, most hams used a straight key or bug. Used a bug exclusively for several years before purchasing the Hallicrafters HA-1 keyer. Proficiency can be good or poor with both methods.

10. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Ian ; Your points and observations are all well taken...
    Certainly OM Brady only meant it in jest, no critical spirit evidenced here...
    We need to laugh at each other from time to time so chill out friend. We work with disabled ops here too...
    VY 73 Lane de n8aft

KD8ZM likes this.