Swapmeet/Ham radio gear for sale search function?

Discussion in 'Community Help Center' started by JUDSON_B, Mar 1, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. JUDSON_B

JUDSON_B QRZ Member

Hi all,

New to QRZ, not yet a ham --working on it! I've been browsing this and other forums (eham.net and qth.com), looking at gear that has been recommended to me. Those sites have easy to use search functions for their swapmeet/classifieds --type in, for example, Icom 718 in a box and the search function finds matches in the radios for sale part of the classifieds.

I can't seem to find a search function for the qrz swapmeet/classifieds. I've even tried in Google, typing in "qrz classifieds search Icom 718" - no luck.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to scan the qrz gear for sale other than going through page by page (pretty laborious and slow!)

Thanks for any advice.
    Jud

2. JUDSON_B

JUDSON_B QRZ Member

Duh! Never mind - just saw the search bar on the gear swap/ham radio gear for sale page. Somehow missed it before (perhaps doesn't show up when not logged in?)

3. JUDSON_B

JUDSON_B QRZ Member

Follow up question - I don't seem to be able to reply to a swapmeet/ham radio gear for sale add. There's a message at the bottom of the discussion thread underneath an item I'm interested in reading, "You have insufficient privileges to reply here."

Does this mean that I am unable to contact a seller about something for sale? (Can't seem to find out how to do this - if I click on seller's profile, it says seller's email only available to those with ham call sign...I'm not licensed yet, but am keen to get gear and install (on boat) so I can start familiarizing myself with it.)

Thanks for any help. I'm not a scammer, I swear! :) Just a beginner wannabe ham without call sign yet looking to purchase ham radio to outfit a boat.

Jud

4. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Jud,
    Yes you are right. Once you get a Ham call sign you will be just fine to reply to such offers. Go get that license. You won't be sorry!

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Who recommend the gear that you happen to need ?

Good Luck.

6. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Good point! If you need help determining gear for your boat let me know. I've been boating for decades with my Ham gear.

7. JUDSON_B

JUDSON_B QRZ Member

Thanks. Various folks on sailing/ocean cruising websites who use or have used both ham and marine ssb and crossed oceans for years, downloading weather data for route planning, participating in various nets, email offshore, etc. suggested some radios that have worked for them that I might want to consider. I've been browsing around both ham and offshore sailing forums for a few weeks, trying to understand the pros/cons, etc. of ham vs. marine ssb, and I've decided to go with a ham rig, being more versatile (once opened up; yes, I know it's illegal to transmit on marine bands from a ham radios except in case of emergency). If I had lots of $$, I'd go with an Icom 802, which can do ham and marine bands, but they're way out of my price range - hence I'm looking at used ham rigs.

Bummer that I need a call sign simply to reply to forum for sale ads here. Seems a bit restrictive! Oh well, there's qth.com and eham.net classifieds in the meantime. License coming soon, I hope!

Thanks for the help.

Jud