Swap 440 Mhz band for the CB band?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by NY3V, Mar 30, 2011.

?

Should the FCC Trade our 440 Mhz band for the CB 11 meter band?

1. YES

26.5%
  2. NO

73.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. NY3V

NY3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Vote Yeah or Nay on whether you wish the FCC to give us back our 11 Meter (now CB band) and give them our 440 Mhz band in return?

1. Yes

2. No

2. AG6JU

AG6JU Ham Member QRZ Page

I think HF band is more useful, and can talk longer distance, as RedneckMikeSr state in his you tube video.
    beside, we may lose most of 70 cm band anyway.
    I don't use it, I don't have a radio for it. lower frequency work much better, one time I did comparison between 10 mtr FM and 2 mtr FM.
    The 10 mtr FM worked about twice the distance, at same gain antenna, same PWR level.
    if we are successful with swap, may be redneckmike might change his mind, decide to get ham radio license.

3. WA9CWX

WA9CWX Ham Member QRZ Page

And just WHO would we work as DX?? 'Da Zinger'! from Europe??? And what would our satalite downlinks sound like?? "This is 'Big Rider' on the slab, comin atchya on the ol' AO-30, Bye Bye' ??? Sorry we lost 11 for such a useless and ill planned project. At the time, no one seriously thought that communication users would turn out to be wanna-be hams with a total disregard for authority... But NO excuse to try and reverse reality with a switch NOW!!

4. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

how would you plan to get rid of the existing unlicensed 11 meter (CB operators)

5. NY3V

NY3V Ham Member QRZ Page

They would then have our 440Mhz band and we would then have their band.

(We could sell them 28/29 Mhz to 440 Mhz transverters :D)

6. KD8NPB

KD8NPB Ham Member QRZ Page

Nobody uses 10m as it is. Why do we need 11m too?

7. NY3V

NY3V Ham Member QRZ Page

To make it what it was originally supposed to be used for, which definitely was Not for DX!

8. NN5AA

NN5AA Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you meant 26.905 to 27.405 MHz to 440 MHz transverters. That is if they are using CB 11 meter radios, and not using 10 meter amateur equipment. I think what would happen though is that you would end up with 2 different frequency bands without sufficient FCC monitoring and enforcement. And just think, if the government shuts down this weekend, we might be hearing even more so-called 'Freebanders' on other bands. I hope not, but there seem to be more and more scofflaws in our country and the world at large as each year passes, and not just in Amateur Radio or CB. 73, Vince

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NN5AA -- A 100% Fully Functioning Boat Anchor !!

9. WW7F

WW7F Guest

Thois whole mess seems to have originated from the HS head,perhaps they feel after we hams once again do the research and development others seem to always benefit from it without paying a penny for thier research as they took what we did and adapted it to thier situations. I figured when we cozied up to the emergenccy services part it wouldd ccome down to observe what is best then take what they want from us, perhaps they should buy all the radio gear on 440 mhz as compensation to those they intend to displace. As far as satellites, they had that already taken care of, a satellite has to be able to be shut down from ground control,if they did that with the Iridium birds then why not the hams??
    I hope the military speaks up and keeps this from happening,27 mhz is likely unsalvageable right now, plus nobody else in the world left that uses 11 meters as a ham band anymore, the reason it was on many older rigs sold in Japan,(i.e.Yaesu FT 101 and such) is it was a ham band there still for years,not now but it was then.
    I also recall that we cannot use some frequencies in the 440 band north of a line that is just north of Everett,WA as it is assigned land mobile in Canada I think could be a bit off on that but I hope that is not used as some excuse as well. Please excuse me as I am using the reference to Everett as I know where the line begins latitude wise. I sincerely hope they will not take it away from us, it would be poetic if we had a huge disaster that needed the band, but it smells like another setup to steal spectrum, I think this will break up the emergency services aspect of things as who would want to help those who rip them off:(
    I also see hams buying the cheapie Wouxun HTs and others a lot as of late,is it optimism or a just in case purchase??
    Lets hope for the best,sincerely all, FWIW just my opinion:)! 73 all, Michelle:)

10. AG6JU

AG6JU Ham Member QRZ Page

most 2 mtr mobile radio cost between $130-$160, but CB radio cost about $30-50. if 11 mtr is back as HAM band, we have access to a inexpensive radios. even though, it is so close to 28MHz band , I welcome any expansion of HAM band.
    I personally like to have all of the WARC bands expanded from 100kHz wide to 500 kHz wide.
    I believe 70 cm, UHF band is one of the good place for new CB band, it is a lot clears, probably uses FM, may be even usage of repeaters like Australian system. FRS just does not have enough channels and power, I think it is nice to have at least 50 watts, and several hundred channels. it is good that in CB there is no license requirement, and also can be used for business.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.