Swan 270 HF rig

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by N4JKD, Oct 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The 260 came out after the 350! The 350 was very much on the market when I first got licensed in 1965. I think the 260 (which was called the "Cygnet," as in "baby Swan") came out in about '67 or '68. Not certain about the years, but as I recall (and I was a Swan dealer back then, in NJ) the 350 and 400 were definitely out first.

They were all cute and pretty.

I don't recall if my 240 worked CW or not, I was so excited to have an SSB transceiver and already had a lot of CW gear (Apache, NC-300, etc) that probably would have outperformed it on CW anyway. I was "home sick from school" one day as about a Sophomore in HS or so, and got on 20m SSB (new toy for me) midday, which I usually couldn't because I was in school, and heard AC5A in Bhutan calling CQ. I answered him and landed my first contact with Bhutan. I had no idea where that was, or if it was rare.

We completed the contact and I ran to the Encyclopedia to find out where it was (no internet in '67) and was astonished. I later found out it was on the "top ten most wanted DX list." Who knew? In the middle of the day when everybody's at work or at school it's easy to work all kinds of stuff.

I still have that card.

2. K6BBC

K6BBC Senior Moderator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I was referring to the 260. It came out perhaps a year before the 270.

Now I remember - Cyclops was this beauty...

[​IMG]

3. WB2WIK

Oh yes, the Gonset Communicator! I lived in NJ but these were ubiquitous and everybody had one. They were made in Burbank, CA and I got to know several hams who worked there, but I didn't know them "then," when these were being manufactured.

I had a "yellow" one, with "CD" decals on both sides. The CD/RACES model. They must have sold 50,000 of those. It was the first 2 meter rig for most of us.:)

4. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The Gonset Communicator I and Communicator II units were better known as "gooney birds". During the 1960s Gonset came out with another 2-meter AM unit which they officially called the "Gooney Bird II".

BBC:

Which unit? The Eico 753 or the Conar 400?

Glen, K9STH

5. K6BBC

K6BBC Senior Moderator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The Conar. It looks really cool. A friend of mine bought a 753 as a joke. An amazing failure of engineering. I wonder if there are any still on the air.

bbc

6. WA6AEE

WA6AEE Ham Member QRZ Page

After setting under my work bench or in storage for the last 35-40 years I got my license back and started using my 270B given to me by my Dad WB6LGM when it was new. It still works just great and with a little help from Ameritron I overcome the lack of antenna (AV-14 and antenna restrictions) and in little over a year have worked 95+ countries plus most of the states. Still get compliments on the audio. Sure it all glows but as a young guy we only had rigs that glowed. The SX-43 still works well and sets next to the 270B. Have fun - thats what it's always been about

7. WB2WIK

That must be a regional thing. When I was in NJ, the Comm I, II and III were all called "Gooney Boxes." We called the GC-105 the "Gooney Bird."

I never really knew why, it was a tradition before I was a ham.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.