Swan 270 HF rig

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by N4JKD, Oct 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
  1. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Steve:

The only "mass produced" amateur radio transmitter/transceiver that was worse than the Eico 753 was the Conar 400. Now the Conar 400 was CW only and was crystal controlled. But, between the chirps and clicks that the Conar put out, it did surpass the Eico by a little.

The Conar 400 does have a "cult" following these days and they do bring a relatively good price to a collector. I do have a Conar 400 and I definitely do NOT even think of putting it on the air! It is basically brand new in appearance and I did get the manual with it. However, it sits on a shelf and I plan on leaving it there.

Glen, K9STH

2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's not drift; it's "character"! :D

The 270 wasn't the BEST rig in the world, but it probably had the best bang for the buck of any rig out there...it made SSB affordable to a whole generation of hams. It has a certainl nostalgic appeal for me since I made my first fone QSO on one my elmer had.

Actually, the audio was excellent....very Drake-like in character. And it had a lot of punch, but you had to be sure not to smoke the finals during tuneup.

Enjoy
    !

Eric

3. G4FUT

G4FUT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  4. KC2TAU

KC2TAU Ham Member QRZ Page

Even when you get a newer rig keep the Swan. Old rigs,even the ones that drift a bit more than most,have a mystique that isn't matched today.

5. K6BBC

K6BBC Senior Moderator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree - the Swan was a beautiful radio. My first sideband rig was a 240.

Unfortunately they could not match the Japanese in innovation, features, and price.

bbc

6. K6BBC

Just looked that radio up. I want it.

bbc

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

But the 240 preceded any kind of Japanese amateur HF transceiver by several years. I had one, too: It wasn't as pretty as the 350-400-500-700 series, but it did work. And their workmanship was excellent, making them easy to repair because when something stopped working, it was guaranteed to be a component failure and not because some connection wasn't soldered.:p

8. K6BBC

Was your modified to tune to the CW portion of the band?

I had the 240 until the FTDX 560 was released. Probably 1970?

On of these days I'd love a Swan 350.

bbc

9. K6BBC

A beautiful lady...

[​IMG]

10. K6BBC

I seem to remember calling it's predecessor, the 260, cyclops.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.