ad: vanity

Swan 270 HF rig

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by N4JKD, Oct 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N4JKD

N4JKD Ham Member QRZ Page

I was recently given one, and it appears to be in perfect working order. Can anyone give me feedback with use of this vintage masterpiece?

2. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

It drifts....

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not sure if "masterpiece" quite fits, but congratulations!

It's a very cute rig and I used to service these back in the early 1970s. As I guess you know, the rig is 40 years old or so.

If you don't have the complete manual, it's free on line here: http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/swan/270/index.htm

That's actually a "CB" site but it has a good reproduction of the 270 manual.

Just follow the instructions!

4. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Price was right!

5. N4JKD

It may not be the cream of the crop, but it was free, so I can't complain. Will work until I get me a newer rig. I have also been given a G5RV and cw straight key. It will at least get me on HF.

6. WW7F

WW7F Guest

Nice Little rig

I had Swan gear and they DO drift but a muffin fan helped slow it down, also was in some ham mags, I think Ham Radio,old magazine out of print had an article on how to tame the drift, if I can find the article I will let you know if you like,gotta dig thru my archives:) 73,Michelle:)

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Easiest way to resolve the drift is just leave the radio turned on and never turn it off. I did that with Swans for years.

8. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Swan 270

I made thousands of CW & SSB QSO's on my 270B in the late 70's and early 80's as a novice and new general.

I wonder if you got mine--it disappeared from my father's estate before the USAF would give me leave to settle his affairs.

It will give you a lot of fun.

Jim N3AWS

9. N4JKD

I was told that I need to let it warm up about half an hour before using it to let it warm up.

10. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I had a 270B way back when and it will drift a little but too bad if you let it warm up. The 270 has the internal 12 volt power supply so you can run it on 12 volts but it will really eat up some juice.:D The 12 Volt supply was an option on the B model and mine didn't have one. If you use a good high impedance dynamic mike the Swan audio is quite good. Also, be kind to the final and learn to tune up quickly cause a new 6LQ6 runs about $50.00 or more these days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.