SW-3B transceiver

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by AE5X, Aug 14, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

I went to the vendor sales site and to my surprise, I was able to down load a schematic for the rig.

KUDOs to the vendor for bucking the trend of Chinese radios by providing at least something to help with troubleshooting/repair.

VK3XPT and KC3RN like this.
  2. WU7H

WU7H Ham Member QRZ Page

Richard G3CWI has posted a nice follow up review of the SW-3B:

Looks like a really great little rig.

VK3XPT, OH1BOR and KL7KN like this.
  3. OH1BOR

OH1BOR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just watched the follow up video. So the 8s delay to change the keyer speed is fake news. Apparently you just need to push a button to confirm it instantly.

VK3XPT likes this.
  4. AE7YD

AE7YD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I did buy John's SW-3B and I love it.

VK3XPT and KL7KN like this.
  5. K5GHM

K5GHM Ham Member QRZ Page

Has anyone worked JS8 or other digital with this?

6. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

It''s a CW-only rig.

7. KL7KN

After contacting Dale and some discussion, he agreed to send a radio set to me for use in writing a technical manual. This is most kind on his part. .

I've completed most of the SW-3B specific manual - the parts that require detailed photos will commence once I have the rig in hand.

While I've enjoyed looking at the various reviews, I noted several things overlooked in the otherwise well done reviews.

I've noted, for example, that the radio set uses a BFO injection signal generated by the Si5251 DDS chip. Owing to this, IMO, several positive things accrue.

1) Reduced parts count = lower cost, fewer things to break.
    2) Offers CWR - offering a reverse option, it is possible to reduce nearby interference.
    3) RIT and XIT, both with considerable range.
    4) the BFO tracks the main injection frequency - I see this as a real plus in field operation.

By example, the MFJ-9200/HS-1A has a stand alone BFO. While it can be adjusted, some care and test equipment is required to obtain optimum results. With the SW3B, this is a non-issue.

I'll post a note when the manual is complete. How Dale will want to release this is something we haven't fully discussed.

I put this note here in case anyone is on the fence for a decision to purchase one of these little rigs due to concerns over technical material. This manual contains both Operations and maintenance section with a parts lookup table to keep everything in one document. The Operations part expands a bit on the excellent document already available.

In many ways this WIP manual mirrors my earlier manual on the MFJ-9200.

8. ON6KE

ON6KE Ham Member QRZ Page

Are the typo's on the faceplate 'RF GAN' and 'AF GAN' corrected now?

9. KL7KN

Since I can assume you speak fluent Standard Mandarin, why don’t you call Dale yourself and ask?

I’m writing a manual, not managing a production line.

10. ON6KE

ON6KE Ham Member QRZ Page

Why such a reaction? I was only enquiring. Pff..