ad: n2yo

Suspicious Transaction Leonard Chiddister

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by W3WN, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WV3E

WV3E Ham Member QRZ Page

Ron,

Sure sounds suspicious to me. For starters, if someone is offering a current production model rig used at half the price of new it's either someone who hasn't a clue what they have, there's something wrong with it, or it's a scam. Unfortunately the latter is most common. Add in the money order and the proxy, and it's pretty clear what's going on. Your friend is under no obligation to purchase, of course, and if I was in his shoes, I would pass.

One of my pet peeves on this and other classified forums are folks that only accept money orders or cashier's checks. As a buyer, I have zero protection when I enter into such a transaction. PayPal offers both buyer and seller protection, and is worth the roughly 3% premium. I accept PayPal myself, and usually pass over ads that don't, even if the deal looks otherwise legit.

Eric / WV3E

2. KF2Q

KF2Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Run - don't walk - in the opposite direction.

Or send me a money order for $500 and I will explain all the things that are wrong with the transaction!

3. N5PZJ

N5PZJ Subscriber QRZ Page

Smells like a skunk, must be a skunk! It smells bad!!!

4. KF5RRF

KF5RRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You're not totally off-base... actually, you've laid it all out quite nicely and I'm fairly certain you probably already know the answer. :)

I would consider the Yahoo e-mail account "Red Flag #5", however. Scammers love free e-mail accounts from places like Google, Hotmail, and Yahoo! because there is very little chance that someone is going to be able to track them down. There's also IP proxy software that can be used to obfuscate the originating IP address when they're using these accounts to make tracking even more difficult.

With what you've posted, I'd say your friend is being scammed and he should pass on this "deal"...

5. KK4CUL

KK4CUL Ham Member QRZ Page

If he's claiming to be a dead guy, that's all the proof you need. Ask him how being an SK is and see what he says.

6. K8MCN

K8MCN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

seems the only thing missing from this seller is an offer to sell you the Brooklyn Bridge,along with a picture of Elvis alive and well in Wal-Mart :) Think you did well by running away from this guy as fast as possible!

7. W4HIJ

W4HIJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldn't touch that deal with a ten foot pole!!
    Michael, W4HIJ

8. KG4RRN

KG4RRN Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like one to me. Its the "agent" tha tis the red flag in the transaction, next is the Moneyu orde rmade out to person other than the seller.
    If it walks like a duck---- and looks like a duck.....duck duck goose @!
    Bob RRN

9. W2LEC

W2LEC Ham Member QRZ Page

A lot of that going around these days. Good catch on the attempt. Western Union and a so called agent are good warnings. My rule of thumb if it smells like a scam it probably is and extra home work always pays off.

10. KC9TUS

KC9TUS Ham Member QRZ Page

That guy has been scamming people on QRZ for awhile.
    Do a search for "Leonard Chiddister" on google.

Have your friend get his number so they "can discuss the radio", so the rest of the people here can get a second chance at getting their stuff back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.