Suspicious Transaction Leonard Chiddister

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by W3WN, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not going to start making accusations (at least, not yet), but something very questionable just got brought to my attention. I'd appreciate some input to see if I'm totally off base -- but I don't think I am.

A local ham and good friend of mine (I'd prefer not to name him publicly) has decided to part with his Elecraft K3 and replace it with a Ten-Tec Orion II. He saw an ad on another site advertising a used Orion II with ATU for roughly half the cost of a new one.

He thought he had a deal, but he called me because some things were bothering him.

First, the person claimed to be Leo C. Purvis WB5DTK, from Texas, who is an 93+ year old ham. Who is planning to replace the Orion with a brand Yaesu rig.

However: A quick search on that name finds listings for a Dr. Leo C. Purvis, from Texas. Who passed away on 28 December 2012.
    (See: http://www.lacyfuneral.com/currentobituary.cfm?obituary=6729, http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/dfw/obituary.aspx?page=lifestory&pid=162098936
    http://www.tributes.com/show/Leo-C.-Purvis-95231683 ) Red Flag #1

The seller doesn't want to use PayPal, but wants a Postal Money Order only. Red Flag #2

The seller wants the money sent to "my agent", one Leonard Chiddister, at an apartment address in Fort Worth. Red Flag #3 -- see
    http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?284078-WESTERN-UNION-AND-SCAMMERS!&p=2362222#post2362222

And since he agreed to the transaction, my friend is being bombarded with emails from the seller to hurry up & complete the transaction. Red Flag #4.

Did I mention it's a Yahoo email account? Not neccesarily a red flag, but considering everything else...

Now, maybe it's my suspicious nature, but I do believe my friend is being scammed. (And he thinks so too, that's why he called me)
    Or am I wrong?

2. KA6YGR

KA6YGR Ham Member QRZ Page

You are absolutely right: too much of this transaction has been warned against time after time on more then one web site.

Dennis KA6YGR

3. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck . . . . . . . .

4. N8WWM

N8WWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldn't send any money. In fact, I'd probably contact the local cops on both ends of the transaction and try to pop this festering zit.

5. VK5TM

VK5TM Ham Member QRZ Page

All the right flags are there for it being a scam.

Terry VK5TM

6. NZ4X

NZ4X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Red flag #1 is a "dead" give away!

7. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree but the PayPal/Postal Money order thing doesn't bother me any.

Could be a family member trying to liquidate the SK equipment but you'd expect him to be upfront about it.

8. WN2C

WN2C Ham Member QRZ Page

"Now, maybe it's my suspicious nature, but I do believe my friend is being scammed. (And he thinks so too, that's why he called me)"

Go with that first gut feeling. Me thinks so too!

Rick wn2c

9. KF6ABU

KF6ABU Ham Member QRZ Page

PO MO is ok. Shipping to someone else is pretty scam worthy. Emails to hurry up are pretty scam worthy. Is WB5DTK even alive?

Tell your friend to save his money. Or email "WB5DTK" back and ask him for his phone number. That shoulde clear it up after a chat. If he can't / wont talk to you on the phone, has a different area code (google talk) or doesn't sound a like a very very old dude, its a scam.

10. WA6JFK

WA6JFK Ham Member QRZ Page

Tell your friend to not send any money, that is for sure a scam, the guy is SK, what else do you need to know, someone has hijacked the account and is selling stuff for real profit, like you send me money I send you nothing.

FYI, I just had a similar thing happen to me in the amount of $620.00.............. But.....because I paid with PayPal, I got my $620.00 back.

So, in my opinion your friend should RUN from this deal and don't send that guy any $$$$

WA6JFK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.