Suspicious reply to for sale from “W2CQM”

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by WO2X, Nov 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WO2X

WO2X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I posted an item for sale on QTH

Received a reply from someone claiming to be Ron Lumachi, W2CQM. The IP address shows reply from California but FCC database and QRZ show he lives in PA. Also email I received is from luma84707@gmail.com but does not match the email listed on QRZ.

First response is “Hello, you still have this?” Not mentioning the item

I reply it is still available. I also give more details about the ad.

A couple of days later he replies “Hello , How are you doing ? Im sorry for the late respond ...What is the condition? Are you firm on the price? Willing to pay your asking price but Im more concerned about the condition since Im not a local buyer. I do hope the condition is as you have stated and the item”

He never finished last sentence.

I reply with link to pictures.

Here is where it gets real fishy.

He replies “Hi ,Okay I'm willing to add an extra $50 for you to reserve it in my favor.. And I'll be mailing a Company check for the payment, and once the bank posts the fund, which shouldn't take more than a day, I'll arrange for the shipping. Let me have your name and address so that I can arrange for the payment.”

so, he’ll most likely send a bad check, have his shipper pick up equipment, and I’ll be out the money.

I am going to pass on his offer. Not worth the risk with all the red flags.

i figure I would post this in case he tries to scam someone else.

Another data point. He mentions sending me a “Company check” (notice he capitalized company. The real Ron Lumachi is 82 yrs young.

Dave wo2x

2. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like a boilerplate scam to me too.

KD8DEY likes this.
  3. NZ4X

NZ4X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"I am going to pass on his offer. Not worth the risk with all the red flags."

Yes that is a very good idea.

4. NZ4X

NZ4X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Coincidentally I just now received the same exact email from the same scammer just after I responded to this ad. I guess he is busy tonight surfing the for sale ads.

5. KT3LZY

KT3LZY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Got the same....told him to f@#k off!

AJ4GQ and NZ4X like this.
  6. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmmm. Most of these scamming complaints seem to start with, "I posted an item for sale on QTH".

W7UUU and KP4SX like this.
  7. WO2X

WO2X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I confirmed with the real W2CQM that it was indeed a scam. Not hard to find Ron’s real email address.

decided to reply to the scammer’s last offer of extra $50 to hold it. Here’s my reply.

Dave wo2x

My address is good on QRZ or you can send it to my work address

Pequannock Police Department
    Detective Bureau
    530 Newark-Pompton Turnpike
    Pompton Plains, NJ 07444

N2AMM, N1RBD, K1BOO and 1 other person like this.
  8. KT3LZY

KT3LZY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We get your point

9. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Clue: Stilted language with British phrasing and formalities.

10. N3AB

N3AB Subscriber QRZ Page

Got the same email from this clown. I answered his first email, telling him my item was still available.

Two days later, I got the exact same email that the OP got, right down to his concerns as he was not a local buyer.

I didn't realize that he was a scammer. I figured him for another stupid tire kicker who was wasting my time. They are plentiful on numerous forums.

I told the guy that the item in question was sold.