Suspicious email from "Ryan B Ruenholl". (W0NU/KD0FJQ)

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by VE6MB, Nov 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. VE6MB

VE6MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Posted an ad that I was looking for a meter board for a Drake MN-2000. Received the following reply a number of days later:

"Hello I have for sale 73 reply back if still interested thanks"

It was not signed with any name, very short, no callsign, using the email address: ryanbruenholl@gmail.com

I was suspicious immediately at the start, did my own search for a callsign to match with the name....FCC database says KD0FJQ is cancelled and W0NU is the current call. In either case, no valid email is on the QRZ.com profile. I note that a ham of this name was the beneficiary of a ARRL scholarship and mentioned in a news item.....could be where the scammer lifted his name and maybe created a profile for him on QRZ?

I replied to the email asking for details, photos, ask price, payment terms, etc.....and asked the writer to give his callsign. What I received in reply was (very short):

"What i have is the Drake MN-2000 Tuner not working I think the power ic went burnt
    What can you offer me for it."

Email didn't answer any of my questions, no photos....trying to get me to buy an entire dead (probably fictional) Drake MN-2000 when all I want is the meter board. Also I liked the comment about the "power IC went burnt".

Avoid.

2. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

3. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I got one too. Exact same wording. I had placed a WTB looking for a carrying handle for the side of my Icom. I responded just to see and asked for a picture and price. He replied 55$. Yeah, dollar sign after the number. No pic.
    No thanks!

4. KM6BSQ

KM6BSQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I got one as well offering to sell an AL-80b hf amplifier.
    Attractive price. Wanted USPS money order to a different name and address.
    Said they have a mobility issue and the other person is their daughter.

5. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

'tis the Season for Giving! :eek:

6. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Contact the ARRL and ask them to contact W0NU and make him aware of the fact that 3rd world criminal scammers are using his name to defraud other hams. We should all chip in and buy a MQ-9 for scammer control.

7. N6TDG

N6TDG Ham Member QRZ Page

Had the same thing with Ryan B Ruenholl. Scammer no doubt. I asked for when the call changed. It was a cut and paste because the font was different and listed Year-Month-Day....most people would say September, 2019...

I also saw a pic of a young Ryan on the ARRL site. So I asked the scammer for a picture holding the radio, saying that I had a picture from ARRL.

Obviously, no response. I suppose someone should drop young Ryan a letter to say that his call is being used by scammers and that he might want to include his email in is profile. Although I don't even know if Ryan knows he has a profile here.

8. W7MP

W7MP Ham Member QRZ Page

Add me to the list of people contacted using W0NU's call and fake email. It's SO easy to just find a call not in QRZ.com, create a gmail account callsign@gmail.com, browse the Wanted sections. BUT... None of them would be successful if we all followed the rules of only doing business with Verified Members.

Here's what mine looked like - it was the Mobility Issues scam:

You can proceed with payment to the name and address below

Name : Erika Moreno
    Address :951 Iowa ave #4 Blair Nebraska 68008
    USA
    Please it should be usps priority mail express overnight...kindly get back to me with a scan copy and tracking number once payment has been sent.
    Thanks

9. KA8GEF

KA8GEF Ham Member QRZ Page

I advertised two separate WTB's and of course scumbag 'Ryan' had both for sale. It appears he can barely utter in english. I was looking for some crystals and he responded that he had 73 for sale.

These guys are such lowlifes, you can call them out, call them every name in the book and they will continue at their scams, with zero remorse or conscience.

N9LCD likes this.
  10. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Putting your email address in your WTB ad/bio makes it WORLD-READABLE. Scammers don't need a hacked QRZ account to get your email address. Have the rules changed? I thought email addresses weren't allowed in WTB ads.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019