ad: SuperQSO-1

Surviving Coal Miner is a HAM!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jan 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K6CS

K6CS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Go back 4 posts & you can see what was on Eham....

2. WB3DJL

WB3DJL Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Charlie, I had seen that one,was hoping there was something more recent.
    Bernie

3. KD8BMX

KD8BMX Ham Member QRZ Page

The report on the local radio station just said that Randal McCloy Jr. is in fair condition, but still unable to speak.

4. WB3DJL

Well it looks like everything has slowed to a stand still. What a great turnout of Hams supporting a fellow Ham. I hope the next news we get tells us that Randy is up and about and reading all the mail he recieved.
    73 to all the Hams out there that participated in this.
    wb3djl

5. WV8VFD

WV8VFD Ham Member QRZ Page

Well,

As I am from West Virginia this story hit home. The radio klub I am in sent a card to him with about 50 names and calls in it.

Bless him and his family

KD8CPP

6. WB3DJL

This is the most recent info I have found.From Yahoo news:-----------------------------------------------------
    Survivor Moved to Rehab Center By VICKI SMITH, Associated Press Writer
    1 hour, 16 minutes ago

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. - The sole survivor of the Sago Mine disaster was transferred Thursday to a rehabilitation hospital, where his family expects him to undergo weeks, or possibly months, of therapy.

Randal McCloy Jr., 26, remained in fair condition, doctors said, no longer in a coma but still unable to speak.

"The family is very pleased with his progress. However, they are fully aware that the recovery process is still ongoing, and it will be a long process," said family spokeswoman Aly Goodwin Gregg. "We're talking about weeks and months.

"While his recovery has been tremendous to date, obviously, this is the time we move into the rehabilitation phase — where it's work," she said. McCloy's wife, Anna, "remains cautiously optimistic that he will make a recovery from this."

McCloy was part of a 13-member crew that entered International Coal Group Inc.'s Sago Mine early Jan. 2 to resume production after a holiday shutdown. An explosion tore through the mine and trapped them deep underground, where they were exposed to deadly carbon monoxide for more than 41 hours until searchers found them.

By then, all but McCloy had died. He was carried out of the mine, battered and barely breathing, on Jan. 4 and has since been treated at Ruby Memorial Hospital in Morgantown and at a hospital in Pittsburgh.

The Sago disaster and a Jan. 19 conveyor belt fire in Logan County that killed two miners led Gov. Joe Manchin to call for mine safety reforms in the state. Lawmakers approved the bill Monday, and Manchin signed the legislation on Thursday.

The law mandates that miners be provided with emergency communicators and tracking devices. Among other things, it also requires mine operators to store extra air supplies underground.

The cause of the Sago explosion remains under investigation, and McCloy's story is one that investigators are eager to hear. However, it's unclear whether he will be able to tell it.

Doctors in Morgantown have said McCloy may have suffered brain damage from the carbon monoxide poisoning, but the extent of that damage is not yet known.

McCloy's two children, 18 months and 4 years old, visit him frequently and his wife "is by his side at all times," Gregg said.

While doctors have been issuing almost daily updates on McCloy's progress, Gregg said that will now stop.

"But when there is news to share, the family will share it," she said. "They appreciate everyone's thoughts and prayers."

7. KB0DFJ

KB0DFJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Good Evening!
    I am writing to let Mr. Mc Cloy know that our prayers are with him. I know God can heal. My cal sign is:kb0dfj. Aloe Vera gel caps are great to help speed healing along with other herbs with no side affects. I've been in the nursing field for 20 yrs but believe in herbs more than chemicals. God Bless you and I know you will be fine once again.
    Sincerely,

Sharon K. Goeglein

8. N0RIE

N0RIE Ham Member QRZ Page

hello ,
    has enyone thought of getting him a key so he can talk to famley ,now that he's awake?

9. WB3DJL

FROM WBOY-TV—Clarksburg, WV

This is the most recent info I have found.
    -------------------------------------------
    The stepfather of Sago survivor Randall McCloy is speaking out. Tim Flint sat down with 12 News Friday and thanked supporters for all their prayers. Flint says McCloy continues to improve and even the little things bring a smile to his face. It's been a long month. "From the point where doctors on the first night didn't think he was gonna make it until now," says Flint. "I still think he's going to make a full recovery." "We have gotten cards as far away as New Zealand." He says Randy still wears a feeding tube, but "each day he's eating more. Starting out with pudding. He's worked his way up to some chicken nuggets. Some Taco Bell." He can't help but chuckle as he remembers better times with his stepson. "He loves to be in the woods, whether it's hunting fishing, camping." Flint says NASCAR is his favorite pastime with Randy. Despite the good memories his thoughts often wander to that night, at the Sago Baptist Church, where he heard the life-changing news. "When I heard 'Randy McCloy,' I just grabbed his mother and Anna, and just headed for the hospital." Stil, he says often thinks about the twelve other families he left behind. "All you can do is give them a hug and say your thoughts and your prayers are with them." As he goes back to work, Flint has new bounce in his step. The prayers seem to be working. "I'm just thinking about the fact that he's improving every day. That just keeps me in an upbeat mood." Flint isn't the official spokesman for the family, but he has taken on a role of keeping friends and family updated on McCloy's progress.

10. KD8BMX

KD8BMX Ham Member QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.