ad: UR5CDX-1

Surviving Coal Miner is a HAM!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jan 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K6CS

K6CS Ham Member QRZ Page

Go back 4 posts & you can see what was on Eham....

2. WB3DJL

WB3DJL Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Charlie, I had seen that one,was hoping there was something more recent.
    Bernie

3. KD8BMX

KD8BMX Ham Member QRZ Page

The report on the local radio station just said that Randal McCloy Jr. is in fair condition, but still unable to speak.

4. WB3DJL

Well it looks like everything has slowed to a stand still. What a great turnout of Hams supporting a fellow Ham. I hope the next news we get tells us that Randy is up and about and reading all the mail he recieved.
    73 to all the Hams out there that participated in this.
    wb3djl

5. WV8VFD

WV8VFD Ham Member QRZ Page

Well,

As I am from West Virginia this story hit home. The radio klub I am in sent a card to him with about 50 names and calls in it.

Bless him and his family

KD8CPP

6. WB3DJL

This is the most recent info I have found.From Yahoo news:-----------------------------------------------------
    Survivor Moved to Rehab Center By VICKI SMITH, Associated Press Writer
    1 hour, 16 minutes ago

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. - The sole survivor of the Sago Mine disaster was transferred Thursday to a rehabilitation hospital, where his family expects him to undergo weeks, or possibly months, of therapy.

Randal McCloy Jr., 26, remained in fair condition, doctors said, no longer in a coma but still unable to speak.

"The family is very pleased with his progress. However, they are fully aware that the recovery process is still ongoing, and it will be a long process," said family spokeswoman Aly Goodwin Gregg. "We're talking about weeks and months.

"While his recovery has been tremendous to date, obviously, this is the time we move into the rehabilitation phase — where it's work," she said. McCloy's wife, Anna, "remains cautiously optimistic that he will make a recovery from this."

McCloy was part of a 13-member crew that entered International Coal Group Inc.'s Sago Mine early Jan. 2 to resume production after a holiday shutdown. An explosion tore through the mine and trapped them deep underground, where they were exposed to deadly carbon monoxide for more than 41 hours until searchers found them.

By then, all but McCloy had died. He was carried out of the mine, battered and barely breathing, on Jan. 4 and has since been treated at Ruby Memorial Hospital in Morgantown and at a hospital in Pittsburgh.

The Sago disaster and a Jan. 19 conveyor belt fire in Logan County that killed two miners led Gov. Joe Manchin to call for mine safety reforms in the state. Lawmakers approved the bill Monday, and Manchin signed the legislation on Thursday.

The law mandates that miners be provided with emergency communicators and tracking devices. Among other things, it also requires mine operators to store extra air supplies underground.

The cause of the Sago explosion remains under investigation, and McCloy's story is one that investigators are eager to hear. However, it's unclear whether he will be able to tell it.

Doctors in Morgantown have said McCloy may have suffered brain damage from the carbon monoxide poisoning, but the extent of that damage is not yet known.

McCloy's two children, 18 months and 4 years old, visit him frequently and his wife "is by his side at all times," Gregg said.

While doctors have been issuing almost daily updates on McCloy's progress, Gregg said that will now stop.

"But when there is news to share, the family will share it," she said. "They appreciate everyone's thoughts and prayers."

7. KB0DFJ

KB0DFJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Good Evening!
    I am writing to let Mr. Mc Cloy know that our prayers are with him. I know God can heal. My cal sign is:kb0dfj. Aloe Vera gel caps are great to help speed healing along with other herbs with no side affects. I've been in the nursing field for 20 yrs but believe in herbs more than chemicals. God Bless you and I know you will be fine once again.
    Sincerely,

Sharon K. Goeglein

8. N0RIE

N0RIE Ham Member QRZ Page

hello ,
    has enyone thought of getting him a key so he can talk to famley ,now that he's awake?

9. WB3DJL

FROM WBOY-TV—Clarksburg, WV

This is the most recent info I have found.
    -------------------------------------------
    The stepfather of Sago survivor Randall McCloy is speaking out. Tim Flint sat down with 12 News Friday and thanked supporters for all their prayers. Flint says McCloy continues to improve and even the little things bring a smile to his face. It's been a long month. "From the point where doctors on the first night didn't think he was gonna make it until now," says Flint. "I still think he's going to make a full recovery." "We have gotten cards as far away as New Zealand." He says Randy still wears a feeding tube, but "each day he's eating more. Starting out with pudding. He's worked his way up to some chicken nuggets. Some Taco Bell." He can't help but chuckle as he remembers better times with his stepson. "He loves to be in the woods, whether it's hunting fishing, camping." Flint says NASCAR is his favorite pastime with Randy. Despite the good memories his thoughts often wander to that night, at the Sago Baptist Church, where he heard the life-changing news. "When I heard 'Randy McCloy,' I just grabbed his mother and Anna, and just headed for the hospital." Stil, he says often thinks about the twelve other families he left behind. "All you can do is give them a hug and say your thoughts and your prayers are with them." As he goes back to work, Flint has new bounce in his step. The prayers seem to be working. "I'm just thinking about the fact that he's improving every day. That just keeps me in an upbeat mood." Flint isn't the official spokesman for the family, but he has taken on a role of keeping friends and family updated on McCloy's progress.

10. KD8BMX

KD8BMX Ham Member QRZ Page

11. WB3DJL

I guess we have done all that we can do. I want to personally thank everyone for their involvement in this. I never dreamed it would mushroom like it did. My hope now is that Randal will one day be able to see how much support he was given from his fellow hams.
    73 guys
    Bernie ....wb3djl

12. K7RAN

K7RAN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

According to the major wires, the latest news (March 2, 2006) is that Randall McCloy is having conversations with family and friends, responding appropriately, and, best of all, makes jokes occasionally. His family is especially happy that his humor and personality are returning. No word on whether he can yet walk or not. His wife was quoted as saying that he has limited memory of the accident, has talked about it in a very limited way, used the word "tragic" to describe what happened, but doesn't elaborate further than that at this point. Taken all together, Randall's progress has been tremendous in a very short period of time.

13. W6BZH

W6BZH Ham Member QRZ Page

Sent him a QSL along with a donation. The family graciously responded with a thank you card.

Very good and deserving people. Makes one proud to be part of such a fine group of people, Hammy though we may be

[​IMG]

14. KD4FCC

KD4FCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey, I've not done all I could do.... Heading to the Charlotte, NC hamfest tomorrow with my brother Rick , KR4EX. I printed up 50 flyers , going to hand them out.....thanks to Fred, Bernie and all the other hams out there who brought this to our attention , ARRL printed an article last week....

begin quote:

Injured Miner Randy McCloy, KC8VKZ, Talking, Joking:

from The ARRL Letter, Vol 25, No 09
    View comments about this article!

Injured Miner Randy McCloy, KC8VKZ, Talking, Joking:

Randy McCloy, KC8VKZ--the lone survivor of the January 2 Sago Mine disaster in Upshur County, West Virginia--is continuing to recover. Speaking on The Early Show on CBS TV March 2, McCloy's wife Anna told co-anchor Hannah Storm that her husband is talking again and even telling jokes.

"He'll listen to jokes and understand," Anna McCloy told Storm. "He'll talk to me and the kids--just regular conversation."

She also said McCloy has told her he remembers "bits and pieces" of the mining disaster that left 12 of his co-workers dead of carbon monoxide poisoning. McCloy, 26, who's been in a rehabilitation facility since January 26, also answers questions appropriately, recognizes his family and can "move quite well," Anna McCloy said. She has remained at her husband's side since his rescue.

McCloy eats with assistance and has expressed distaste for institutional cuisine, instead preferring the restaurant and fast food fare his wife supplies.

Anna McCloy says she's "not quite sure" if her husband realizes he was the only survivor of the mine mishap. "I don't question him about it. When he wants to talk about it, I listen to him, but I don't push him, and I don't question him," she said.

One of Randal McCloy's physicians, Dr Julian Bailes, told Storm that McCloy has "improved beyond our expectations" during rehabilitation. "I think we see his old personality coming back."

Well-wishers have been sending cards and QSLs to McCloy at PO Box 223, Philippi, WV 26435. A fund has been set up to accept donations for McCloy's benefit: The Randal McCloy Jr Fund, c/o Clear Mountain Bank, 1889 Earl Core Rd, Morgantown, WV 26505.

Source:

The ARRL Letter Vol. 25, No. 09 March 3, 2006

Member Comments: Add A Comment
    Help Cheer Up an Injured Fellow Ham: Reply
    by AI2IA on March 3, 2006 Mail this to a friend!
    Well-wishers have been sending cards and QSLs to McCloy at PO Box 223, Philippi, WV 26435. A fund has been set up to accept donations for McCloy's benefit: The Randal McCloy Jr Fund, c/o Clear Mountain Bank, 1889 Earl Core Rd, Morgantown, WV 26505.

It's so easy to send Randal a QSL card with a cheerful message! Feel good when you drop one in the mail box. This fellow ham went through one heck of an ordeal!

: end quote

thanks guys , I'm going to make it my job tomorrow to hand out 50 copies of this.. hope it helps...If not, it cost me a little time, ink and paper.....think of what he lost... he's going to have a long way to come back.

what does a card or qsl cost to send.....or a few sawbucks...

thanks for reading....

73's ...Chris

KD4FCC ( would you give up this call ?) [​IMG]

15. K8FDW

K8FDW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Randell I live in Upshur county neear Sago Coal mines.My Amayeur Radio Callis Wv8bu and my Wife is N8fdw Looking forward to meeting you sometime. Visit my Web site at www.angelfire.com/wv2/wv8bu or our church site at www.waysidebaptist.com we can be found daily on Christian Amateur Radio with Wv8bu and w7mxy on paltalk instant messanger. if you need that program just go to www.paltalk.com and down load its free. Screen name is Fred_Stacy_wv

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.