Surveying Flood Damage From The Air With 2-meter Ham Ops

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W7NY, Jan 11, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AC7KQ

AC7KQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great Video. I was west bound out of Rainer, when I answered your call on 146.52. Thanks for the video, 73 Ray ac7kq

2. N7DBI

N7DBI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice video. Been a while since I have been in one of those. Thank you for the post.

3. W6DX

W6DX Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video and very informative. Thanks!
    We used to fly a V-tail Bonanza (H-35 model) out of Holman Field (Now St. Paul Downtown Airport) back in Zero-land in the 1950s and early 60s. Always nice to see good cockpit video from private planes.

Barrie, W6DX ex K0WWG

4. K4BMW

K4BMW Ham Member QRZ Page

Very cool video.

5. AG7KO

AG7KO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great to hear my friend Thom N7MYP at the end of your amateur radio contacts. I suppose now Thom will be charging for autographs. Sorry I missed the event. I'll have my 2m radio tuned to the call channel more often now that I know you're out there! 73 Scott AG7KO

6. W7NY

W7NY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Mike. It ended up being the shielding on the primary leads coming from both magnetos. The shielding had frayed and separated from the magnetos resulting in a loss of grounding. When that happened, primary leads each became antennas emitting significant electrical RF into the airplane. Once I restored the grounds on the shielding, the noise immediately went away.

7. W7NY

Thank you. It’s been a real joy combining three hobbies. Flying, ham radio, and video editing. Each have their own challenges and merging them into one has been a blast!

8. W7NY

Thank you very much. It’s been a lot of fun doing Ham Ops from the air and I’m glad I can share that experience with fellow hams.

W7NY

KO4CES likes this.
  9. W7NY

Thanks much! I’m glad I can share the experience with fellow Ham operators.

W7NY

KO4CES likes this.
  10. W7NY

Thank you very much. Well, Ham radio operations in the airplane has been very challenging. The first issue to resolve is cockpit noise. As you mentioned, that can be a big obstacle both in the earphones and in the microphone. With my 2 m radio, I resolved this by feeding the icom 2300 audio directly into the auxiliary jack of the intercom. I have a noise canceling hand microphone that resolved the cockpit noise challenge into the mic. This combination has proven effective and allows me to simultaneously record all incoming and outgoing audio. It took me a little while to get there, but I’ve managed to be able to maintain good clean audio both directions and into the recorder.

W7NY

KO4CES likes this.