Support Group for Club Officials

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Clubs' started by N8CN, Oct 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N8CN

N8CN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all.

Looking for any existing support groups (online/email etc) for those "in charge" of ham radio clubs.
    Maybe if there isn't, and enough are interested, could we start one? :)

I'm currently the president of a 35active, 160nominal member club, and would appreciate collaborative efforts with those in leadership roles of other clubs.

For instance, my current interest is collaboration and exploration of a challenge we have with getting a handful of people (5-6) signed up for a volunteer event, when there are so many members, but nobody ends up able to commit despite communication on every medium possible, and bribery of free food. ;)

Stuff like this gets me "down" initially, but I try to bootstrap and get back on the horse, and keep riding. But I don't want to spend time (and possibly do things not-best and make the situation worse) trying to work around these challenges in a way i try to discover when there might be someone out there who just went through a very similar situation and can share a method for yielding positive results (or warn of a way that ended up badly...).

I know that "volunteerism" in general is a double-edged sword and I do plan to explore that metric and its variables alone in greater depth this month. But ham radio is quite unique, isn't it? It's an interesting microcosm of human life. So any input or group-collab on the topic, I for one would find quite interesting.

2. K1XS

K1XS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I’m involved in two other organizations that have nothing to do with amateur radio and we have the exact same problem. Expect about 10% of your members to do 90% of the work.

My experiences have been that multiple competing recreational activities, nominal interest in the mission of the club, family and work commitments, and internal club issues all play a role in this issue.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    K3UJ likes this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree 100% with K1XS. I'm President of a 270-300 person club. 40 regularly attend the General Meetings. About 10 people do "most everything", with maybe another 10-15 that chip in from time to time.

We have our own clubhouse building (1249 So. Washington St. Tacoma WA) so there's a lot of "to do" stuff - mowing grass, keeping the house in order and good repair, cleaning kitchen and restrooms, paying all the bills, tons of duties! And that's without even going into things like committees (we have more than a dozen active committee positions), our web page, our newsletter, our Property Management team (which sells off donations to fund our programs and expenses).

I often worry about our future. We seldom get younger new members who will volunteer to do anything to "chip in" and a majority of the roles are filled by ever-older members who often cover as many as three or more "official duties". We made it to 102 years in operation but unless we start getting new able members who want to join in and "do something", we won't likely see 150 much less 200

We're in our election cycle and despite having four open positions (President, Two Board positions, and Treasurer) we only had ONE nomination for each position, all of whom are incumbents! Nominations are now closed, so it's pretty much a "lame duck" election, as we'll all get reelected even if only one person votes for us!

Dave
    W7UUU

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  4. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have found out the same 90/10 rule, and it's everywhere; Scouting, youth sports, all clubs.
    Try your best, but don't take it too seriously, that will hurt you.
    You will get some flux as some new members step up.