Support for the HB-1B and/or the MFJ-9200 radios.

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KL7KN, Feb 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

This morning, I received a very warm note from a fellow who had just picked up a used HB-1B. He sent along a couple of nice photos as well.

I was able to send him a copy of the schematic for the rig. This because he correctly identified the board as a HB-1B8a. I enjoy these communications, seeing how other ops use their rigs is always enjoyable.

Please note there are several issues with supporting these U-Kits rigs.

I had posted earlier this note -
    To further complicate things, the HB-1B MK II was sold on line (from China via E-bay.com and Ebay.ca) by a vendor going by RadioPhantom

""Please be cautious that a ebay seller who is not a authorized vendor of YouKits is again selling and advertising the HB1B MKII as a YouKits radio. These are counterfeit units. ... All these counterfeit units showing "Youkits 2013" when power up because they copied our older version. " "
    was the warming issued by You Kits

and this from the Yahoo boards-
    "Please note that radiophantom is again selling the fake HB1B’s but has moved his stuff and description to ebay.ca from ebay.com to get around the hurdle.
    Yimin who is : yanjiewang7678 is the real YouKits dealer on ebay selling the HB1B MKII.
    Please do not deal with radiophantom."

I'll leave seeing any irony of that situation up to you.

This may also explain why any technical data is so hard to come by.....UKits stopped putting out any tech data after this episode.

I have also noted elsewhere the MFJ-9200 is the HS-1A once sold in Asia - possibly as a semi-kit finished here in the US by MFJ. The early MFJ-9200 (A model board) will display a HS-1A on the splash screen on power up.

I have the Technical manual and schematic for the MFJ-9200, B model board. I'm happy to send these out on request as a pdf. The tech data has many tests and a troubleshooting 'tree' that may be of use for folks with a HB-1B pre MFJ. This owing to the HB-1x and 9200 sharing many common features.

If you need assistance, I'll be harpy to provide what help I can - albeit via long distance...

These are a fun, low-cost, rig with very good technical specifications.

Don//KL7KN

2. WB8SCT

WB8SCT QRZ Lifetime Member #205 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I've been using the HB-1B for a little over a year. I agree, it is a fun little radio. I found your document in another thread, thank you for posting it!

KL7KN likes this.
  3. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

If you have found this, your search was successful.

To help me determine what I have that be of help for you.

1) Open back of radio
    2) observe the lower right corner of the main board
    3) note the series /run number there in any correspondence. (example -- HB1B8a)

without this hard data, anything I might offer will be a guess. Help me help you and find/send the series/run number.

thanks in advance

Don//KL7KN

4. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a 9200 for several years, and liked it a lot. THen I sold it to a friend of a friend, and he likes it. Somewhere online I downloaded (or was sent) a 9200 guide that was full of all sorts of tips, hints, and tips..... it was a lifesaver. If the HB-1 is the same, then that would be a good thing to have. I'll look to see if I have a copy still in my computer.

5. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

Wait... Don, that was you who sent it to me! Well, good work old man!

KL7KN likes this.