Superhet Radio Theory - Design

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by AVENGERMAN14S, Oct 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. AVENGERMAN14S

AVENGERMAN14S QRZ Member

Hello,

While stumbling through Google tonight looking for SA602 and SA604 datasheet's and app notes I found a link from a college in Iowa looks like a research paper that breaks down Superhet principles; lots of good info, pictures and math, it's the best and easiest example I've seen to include ARRL docs. The link is as follows.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAGegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw3m0LdPnqEDZa72GHMCmYKe

I didn't see any copyrights or no copy warnings. I will be saving this document with my other references. Take a look at it, if your a non EEE and build things for fun like me it will help you too.

Hope it helps,

Jim

W4CDO likes this.
  2. K6ZX

K6ZX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would say that it is lecture notes for a radio engineering class for undergrad EE taught by Dr. Anton Kruger at U. of Iowa. I would also say that they are pretty good notes -- good job Dr. Kruger.

3. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, Anton Krueger made a very good set of notes and presentations.

Pheel

4. VK6ZGO

VK6ZGO Ham Member QRZ Page

With all the SDRs & such around, Superhets are still a "hard act to follow".
    I continually see people with SDRs growling about Selectivity problems which were solved years ago in Superheterodyne receivers.

AC0OB likes this.
  5. N0TLD

N0TLD Subscriber QRZ Page

Fantastic pdf, info, etc. Thanks for posting it.

Mike
    N0TLD

6. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow ...
    What a great catch...
    Little too much colors, but it covers everything so nicely.

Caution - 602 can be quite hot (performer).
    Years ago defunct Ham Radio had a very nice article on "mini" RX.
    Perhaps if you are going to build PCB it could be nice template.
    I recall it used triple varicap IC which was never commercially produced!

Have fun and if you need some original Plessey ( sic?) IC just ask , I have some somewhere.

73 Shirley

W7UUU likes this.
  7. K5MIL

K5MIL Ham Member QRZ Page

8. N6ALT

N6ALT Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you ever find any info regarding the SA604's? I have quite a few along with a bunch of 602's as well, I've been using the 602's for years but have never found any practical applications for the 604's. Seems to me they would be good for some ham radio projects VHF/HF.

Joel
    N6ALT

9. WB5WPA

WB5WPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Does not compute; can you explain further?

10. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the schematics in the presentation, the Cascode JFET mixer is credited to VA3IUL. That person is a "circuits collector" who re-labels others' work as his own with no attribution. That is the work of Wes Hayward, W7ZOI et al. Several examples are indeed from the ARRL Handbook, Experimental Methods in RF Design and others. For another example of content misuse, among many, VA3IUL's qsl.net web site contains the schematic for the NorCal Sierra, which is "attributed" to VA3IUL, instead of the designer, Wayne Burdick, N6KR.

Fair use is one thing, but blatant ripoff of others' work is illegal in the U.S.

Ted, KX4OM