ad: Stlouis-1

Super-NOOB wanting to load latest WSJT-X to RPi3

Discussion in 'RFinderPi - Open Source radio interface based on R' started by KG7E, Jun 30, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. KG7E

KG7E Ham Member QRZ Page

I read the article in the July issue of QST and decided to get a RPi3 and run JT-65. Got the RPi up and running easily with the pre-programmed SD card supplied with the kit. The last step in the article says to not use the installed version of WSJT-X. Instead, download the latest version. This is where I'm lost.

How does the whole package download thing work? Do I download from the WSJT website? How is this done? Where does the file go? The article says to use the terminal and put in commands. Is this after the package is downloaded? Seriously, I have no clue about the very basics of doing this. I'm used to Windows and Mac. I think the article assumes some basic knowledge of RPi/Linux that I'm missing. Is anyone knowledgable about this and willing to give me some guidance? Thanks.

2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

That article stops right at the good part, getting wsjtx installed. The article is written for very beginners, but the installation instructions are several levels up.

Well, congratulations on getting your RPi running! you have set foot in a new world.

Did you follow the bolded link in the last paragraph? Here, click on this

http://wsprnet.org/drupal/node/5567

Look at the instructions for Debian.

I can tell from your questions that you may have difficulty following the writeup there.

All systems have a terminal program. On Windows, it is called cmd.exe, on Mac I think it is called Terminal, on RPi look at the upper left for a black box with > in it. Click on that. It will bring up a black box with a white $ at the top left. That is where you start typing.

Try typing "date" and press enter. What does it print out? Should be the date and time.

3. KG7E

KG7E Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for taking the time to answer Cliff. Yes, I have looked at and understand the link for the terminal instructions, I know what a terminal program is (from way back in the DOS days), and I scanned the online manuals for Debian and Linux (mostly all Greek to me). My question is: do I download the latest WSJT software from Joe's website? If so, which version (32 bit or 64 bit)? Do I have to download it with another computer and transfer it to the micro SD card or do I download it with the RPi browser directly to the RPi operating system? Or do I just type those commands from the link into the terminal and the RPi somehow magically gores out and find it? I doubt this last option. I do have the RPi connected via WiFi. I can't find any instructions on getting a new program (package) loaded from an outside source in any of the instruction manuals.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

If you get the command correct and your box is on the internet it will find and install it.

Are you able to ssh into your Pi3 ? I use putty and it makes everything easy to setup using a windows box.

You can SSH into your Pi3 on port 22 from a Win machine that is on your network.

Once you learn Linux you will like it.

Have Fun. :) Never give up. You can make it work.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    KG7E likes this.
  5. KG7E

KG7E Ham Member QRZ Page

Aaaa...Ha! That has the install instructions making some sense now. I would have never assumed this. I thought I had to have the new program on the box first. Thank you.

6. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

there's two parts to the instructions. the program apt-get is the Debian way of doing updates, you know like Windows Update.

apt-get will find and install the latest wsjt-x, but you have to tell it where to look first.

Open up the terminal program. I typed the commands, you see them in bold below. the RPi output is the rest of the plain text.

first, tell apt-get to trust the source of the wsjt-x build:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 862549F9
    Executing: gpg --ignore-time-conflict --no-options --no-default-keyring --homedir /tmp/tmp.aOIBQAiEcC --no-auto-check-trustdb --trust-model always --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --primary-keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 862549F9
    gpg: requesting key 862549F9 from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
    gpg: key 862549F9: public key "Launchpad PPA for KI7MT" imported
    gpg: Total number processed: 1
    gpg: imported: 1 (RSA: 1)

then, tell apt-get where to look for stuff to install:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

I added the line

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ki7mt/wsjtx-next/ubuntu trusty main

to the end of this file. Then I hit control+x then y then enter to save and exit

Next, tell apt to go look for all the new stuff:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt-get update
    Get:1 http://ppa.launchpad.net trusty InRelease [16.0 kB]
    Get:2 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org jessie InRelease [14.9 kB]
    ... blah blah blah
    Fetched 10.0 MB in 31s (322 kB/s)
    Reading package lists... Done

You only do the above once, now it's set up and you can use apt-get to install the wsjt-x build:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt-get install wsjtx
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    The following extra packages will be installed:
    libqgsttools-p1 libqt5multimedia5 libqt5multimedia5-plugins
    libqt5multimediawidgets5
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    libqgsttools-p1 libqt5multimedia5 libqt5multimedia5-plugins
    libqt5multimediawidgets5 wsjtx
    0 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 0 to remove and 48 not upgraded.
    Need to get 8,226 kB of archives.
    After this operation, 19.3 MB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
    Get:1 http://ppa.launchpad.net/ki7mt/wsjtx-next/ubuntu/ trusty/main wsjtx armhf 1.7.0-r7405-2~ki7mt~trusty [7,786 kB]
    Get:2 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ jessie/main libqt5multimedia5 armhf 5.3.2-5 [205 kB]
    Get:3 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ jessie/main libqt5multimediawidgets5 armhf 5.3.2-5 [32.1 kB]
    Get:4 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ jessie/main libqgsttools-p1 armhf 5.3.2-5 [53.6 kB]
    Get:5 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ jessie/main libqt5multimedia5-plugins armhf 5.3.2-5 [149 kB]
    Fetched 8,226 kB in 26s (306 kB/s)
    Selecting previously unselected package libqt5multimedia5:armhf.
    (Reading database ... 193901 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to unpack .../libqt5multimedia5_5.3.2-5_armhf.deb ...
    Unpacking libqt5multimedia5:armhf (5.3.2-5) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package libqt5multimediawidgets5:armhf.
    Preparing to unpack .../libqt5multimediawidgets5_5.3.2-5_armhf.deb ...
    Unpacking libqt5multimediawidgets5:armhf (5.3.2-5) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package libqgsttools-p1:armhf.
    Preparing to unpack .../libqgsttools-p1_5.3.2-5_armhf.deb ...
    Unpacking libqgsttools-p1:armhf (5.3.2-5) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package libqt5multimedia5-plugins:armhf.
    Preparing to unpack .../libqt5multimedia5-plugins_5.3.2-5_armhf.deb ...
    Unpacking libqt5multimedia5-plugins:armhf (5.3.2-5) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package wsjtx.
    Preparing to unpack .../wsjtx_1.7.0-r7405-2~ki7mt~trusty_armhf.deb ...
    Unpacking wsjtx (1.7.0-r7405-2~ki7mt~trusty) ...
    Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.0.2-5) ...
    Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.13.3-6) ...
    Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.22-1) ...
    Processing triggers for mime-support (3.58) ...
    Setting up libqt5multimedia5:armhf (5.3.2-5) ...
    Setting up libqt5multimediawidgets5:armhf (5.3.2-5) ...
    Setting up libqgsttools-p1:armhf (5.3.2-5) ...
    Setting up libqt5multimedia5-plugins:armhf (5.3.2-5) ...
    Setting up wsjtx (1.7.0-r7405-2~ki7mt~trusty) ...
    Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19-18+deb8u9) ...
    pi@raspberrypi:~ $

If there's ever an update, just re-run sudo apt-get install wsjtx to get it. magic!

Indeed, you ought to run sudo apt-get upgrade on your RPi, just to be sure you have all the latest, including bug fixes and protection from various malware.

KG7E likes this.
  7. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

With all due respect to the author, for the expectation it created, that article was useless. At least he wrote something for the magazine...you say...I accept the admonition. ;)

I followed the instructions provided by KI7MT himself on the WSJT mailing list. It worked perfectly. Unfortunately the SD card I used went bad, and I have not replaced it yet.

73 de Vince, VA3VF

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2017
  8. KG7E

KG7E Ham Member QRZ Page

Now that's an answer!!! Thank you!

9. G6NLZ

G6NLZ Ham Member QRZ Page

G4WNC/shop does an SD card preloaded with WSJT & FlDigi + QSSTV plus card copier and other progs. when you get it Mike Richards suggests doing 'sudo apt-get update' then 'sudo apt-get upgrade' to get all latest versions about 10 USD too