Super Ears! Hack RF plus Wolfwave DSP

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by W4EGE, Jul 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4EGE

W4EGE Ham Member QRZ Page

I can spend a lot of time just listening...in fact, I spend most of my RADIO time listening.
    A tecsun 880 is really great radio to just listen to HF. Add a 9:1 unun and its an even better radio to listen to.
    But...the only issue with using a SWL radio is the lack of filtering and pan adapter for "seeing" whats out there.

I realize that the time and money i spent on this that I could have bought a used 7300. But...this rig runs on a 5v USB power supply...and can tune anywhere from 1mhz to 6ghz. Enter...the Hack RF with the Porta Pack H1 along with the Sotabeams WolfWave DSP. 20200707_164612.jpg
    With this combo of equipment, the difference of what can be heard is simply...astounding. I used to seldom hear Europe/South America from my FM16UV QTH. Now, this is not a problem. I have made a side by side comparison between this rig, an Ft100D and the Tecsun Pl880. Even with the Ft100D's excellent DSP capabilities, the Hack RF's ability to alter gains with the wolfwave's ability to 'clean' a signal is in a different league all together. I'm sure these capabilities are built in to many radios these days (991a, 7300, IC706, etc)...but those need to be plugged into the wall and have dedicated antennas to work best.

Overall, im very pleased with the performance of this radio. Obviously the Wolfwave will make any radio better...even the Ft100D (which are really amazing together). Its fun to use that is for sure!

2. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

You made me look - the 'Wolfwave' DSP unit is $252 + shipping (in USD, thats ~320 US dollarettes)
    The 'portapack? " (I don't live in Rio Linda, but still had to look up the devices)

PortaPack H1 turns HackRF One into a portable SDR platform. With an LCD, navigation control, and audio input and output, the device can be used as a handheld spectrum analyzer and can implement a wide variety of useful radio functions.

Wolfwave must be pure magic, because the vendor website tells me everything but what it will do.

The bhi folks offer in line modules at a lower cost.... those may be worth looking at if DSP is something a person would want.

I had an SGC-2020 with the ADSP and it was nice for cutting noise. My current rig (KX2) has a multi-function DSP bult in. Nice to have as well..

Anyway, thanks for the post. The photos are interesting.