ad: chuckmartin

Super Antenna MP1 my favourite configuration

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Jun 13, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. BG2STO

BG2STO QRZ Member

非常好的天线。

2. DL4QB

DL4QB QRZ Lifetime Member #719 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Hi Julian, great Video again!!
    I also have the qestion for a coparsion between the MP1 and Chameleon MPAS. If a tuner is needed, there are a lot of small automatic Tuner on the market. The weight can be neglected. For me, i don´t like to adjust the antenne on every band change. Maybe it´s just me, because i often change bands :)

3. W4SEX

W4SEX Ham Member QRZ Page

$350.00 for a portable antenna is too expensive for someone living on disability income. I found out early on that ham radio is for the very well to do crowd. It's always depressing to see how much money some people have to throw into hobbies.

4. N5VAF

N5VAF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have the MFJ 1699S multi-band mobile antenna with the wander lead. I have made contacts all over the world with it on 20 and 40 meters with 100 watts from my TS-50 with AT-50 tuner in the Truck. For several weeks on the way to work, I worked a station in Northern Ireland and on the way home one in Bora Vista Brazil from Port Arthur Texas. Great Antenna!

KB2SMS and KG7HVR like this.
  5. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

I have found the built-in tuner on the Xiegu G90 20 watt radio to tune just about anything. On other radios I use an LDG Z100Plus using the build in battery holder. It will autotune if SWR is bad by itself.

Also can you send me a link to the full sized page that your Icon Avatar shows of the spider antenna please? Thanks K8XG

6. K8RDG

K8RDG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for another great video Julian. I have the Super Antenna and would very much appreciate some advice on setting it up on a condo balcony. Can I contact you by email?

7. KG7HVR

KG7HVR Ham Member QRZ Page

You can buy just the antenna with out the extras for $139 from ham radio outlet. You get a better deal in my opinion buying that way. The coil, extensions and a collapsible whip. No extra stuff like radials you can make yourself, clamp you can make of find better, and no bag that you dont need. I prefer a telescopic ant rather than the titanium whip. Easier to fit in my go box.

W4SEX and K8XG like this.
  8. WA6VVC

WA6VVC Ham Member QRZ Page

What are you trying to say? When was the last time you looked at your QRZ page? Am I missing something here?

9. W4SEX

Everything I have was mostly given to me, the HF rig, the mobile rig, power supply, the monitors and iMac, I had to buy one monitor and a highly used PC for $80.00, The whole audio system was $100, the ribbon mic was used from Ebay, the coax going to the downspout also given to me. The J-pole antenna was given to me too.
    That's what you're missing. So less than $400 in my whole shack and that was put together over the past 4 years. The only way I get to buy something is to sell something I currently own, and I've been selling things continuously for the past 6 years, keeping a dozen things listed every month on the local classifieds since 2014

BTW, I love your HUMMER

10. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

I read your QRZ page, Fire Ants and also your HP Rocket Hobby. When at the Texas LDRS, Pat G. warned us about the fire ants; now I know why. I too am disabled from my other hobbies, using a walker now; but just had surgery last month after waiting out our Covid shutdowns. Now need to do therapy to recover.

My QRZ page shows my APRS M motor rocket at Black Rock Desert Launch in 2006 or 7; I forget which and can't look it up right now.

If your in NC I am sure you know Chris the rocket motor dealer as well.

Art Upton - K8XG
    #TRA 492
    #NAR 26255

K6CLS likes this.
  11. WA4NID

WA4NID XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Julian, what is the collapsible whip you are using above the coil? Made by ... ?
    Length ... ?
    Thanks for your inspiring videos!
    Dave WA4NID

KA3NAM likes this.
  12. KD2TTM

KD2TTM Ham Member QRZ Page

As a newbie, I'm curious as to the advantages of that antenna vs. a lighter, cheaper, segmented dipole? I'm guessing that the MP1 and its parts are not much easier to carry or put up than a wire dipole and telescopic mast.

13. W0RIO

W0RIO Ham Member QRZ Page

That's one of the reasons why many of us like to build homebrew projects. Antennas are a great place to start homebrewing
    since they don't require a lot of test equipment. An SWR meter or better, an inexpensive antenna analyzer are all you need
    to get going. A nice adjustable commercial loading coil is great, but it's also possible to build a similar coil with a piece of threaded
    PVC pipe fitting, some copper wire and an alligator clip. Most of that can be purchased at the local Home Despot for a few bucks.

Kudos to Julian for yet another interesting and inspiring video.

14. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Art, was it really that long ago!? I don't remember either, but lotsa great flights that year...

@W4SEX please post some HPR pix if you have any handy. Like you I'd always been curi0us about ham radio but getting the HPR APRS tracker put me over the edge into Technician class ... the rest is just inevitable. One great hobby leads to many others.

I'm planning an M flight at XPRS in September. My friend Peter KK6EK{is SK, so by his will, loosing some ashes in his L3 certification rocket. Fly high my friend. I can hear him now, "Hey Cliff, I can see my house from up here!"

K8XG likes this.
  15. W4SEX

great rockets

K8XG likes this.