ad: MyersEng-1

SunSDR MB1 by Expert Electronics – Review and walk through

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, May 2, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K4CAE

K4CAE QRZ Lifetime Member #320 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

$5,595.00

VA2PV likes this.
  2. K8TDN

K8TDN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's way beyond my needs or wants for this hobby. Also no way too justify purchase for a hobby.

W6ERM likes this.
  3. N3HEE

N3HEE Ham Member QRZ Page

I like the fact that you can use the internal computer to run your ham software and more. Connect two external monitors, keyboard and mouse and you have a nice little shack computer included in the price. (Intel Core i5 @ 3.0GHZ, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD) This takes the ICOM 7610 and Flex 6000 series a step further. I would like more details on SO2R operation, band pass filter specs, cw capabilities (QSK & Latency).

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    UB3DMF and VA2PV like this.
  4. K1AC

K1AC Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting that radio manufacturers are charging a pretty penny for this stuff. Who is their target market? It seems as if it's for "audophiles" for HAM. Most radios are creeping up in price - which is no wonder why Baofeng and the Chinese radios are becoming so popular.

5. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They says it is the best for serious contesters and DXers. Ordinary ham will buy icom crap. They talk this in every icom topic on russian forums.

KB5CUS likes this.
  6. K4DVW

K4DVW Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Have had a MB1 for over a year now. The radio is amazing!! Went through most other high end SDRs and the MB1 knocks their socks off. The updates and support is second to none other out there. The ability to run all other Ham software in the same machine and remote everything is just genius.

VA2PV, US7IGN and KV5J like this.
  7. N3HEE

N3HEE Ham Member QRZ Page

It may be bargain priced depending on it's ability to do SO2R. Two radios with bandpass filters and a capable computer all in one small box. Price out two K3's with external bandpass filters and a computer ! It will be well over $7K. It only has one ADC so not sure how they are claiming SO2R capable. You need full duplex for that. Have to be able to listen to either RX while transmitting.

VA2PV likes this.
  8. W5LMM

W5LMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

GAH!!!! Almost 8K??

9. VA2PV

VA2PV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

10. VA2PV

Hi, I see this company every year at Dayton, they also make other very popular rig like the SunSDR Pro. They have been in business for almost 10 years. I remember seeing the first prototype of the MB1 on YouTube in 2013, the radio became available for sales in early 2016. But it seems like the brand is more popular in Europe. Anyway, for me they were not "unknown", but I was convincing after trying the ColibriNANO. 73 Pascal VA2PV

11. VA2PV

Hi, it's stated in the video, exactly 53 seconds just a little bit more than my TS-990. 73 Pascal VA2PV

12. VA2PV

That's ok, the main thing is to be active we should never forget that as are bands worth billions! 73 Pascal VA2PV

13. VA2PV

Hi Joe, I don't know about SOR2, but currently it's not fast QSK, but Full Duplex is coming as well as predistortion. See the development schedule via the link below. 73 Pascal VA2PV
    https://eesdr.com/en/expertsdr2-en

14. KB5CUS

KB5CUS Ham Member QRZ Page

Johan I totally agree.... I've had 3 different Flex models. Leading technology with the Very Best Technical Support, no to mention the 2 Year Warranty, able to test out for 30 days, And Flex takes TRADE-IN's. Some are Dazzled by Shinny Objects...... LOL

73.... Alan

15. KB5CUS

KB5CUS Ham Member QRZ Page

Edward... Curious... which high end SDR radios have you had ? Your QRZ page shows a Yahoo, Kenwood 990, & what looks like 3 Icom 7300 ...