ad: Radclub22-1

SunSDR MB1 by Expert Electronics – Review and walk through

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, May 2, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. VA2PV

VA2PV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here is a quick tour of the SunSDR MB1 by Expert Electronics. It's an operator's point of view and a simple walk through this great HF radio. This is the first video of an upcoming series.

The SunSDR MB1 by Expert Electronics is an amazing standalone SDR radio, it’s complex and simple at the same time.

This video was made after using it for 8 days only and I’m still discovering the unit. There may be some simple mistakes describing the features, but as I wanted to be an operator's overview, as I would for any friend visiting the shack, the genuine approach was more important than precision. This quick review is to longest video I ever post on my channel, even my documentary is shorter, and I didn’t cover all the features! Please stay tune, as I will do more videos as I discover this radio.

If you have any question or demo request for my next video (probably after Dayton), like VHF, etc… please add it in the comments below.

73 Pascal VA2PV

MB1_thumb.jpg

VE2OL and WB8P like this.
  2. N6RGR

N6RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yikes!! For $7,132.00 it better be one hell of a radio!

Roger N6RGR

K7YB, W7LDG, K0PIR and 1 other person like this.
  3. VA2PV

VA2PV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

4. K7YB

K7YB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

price way out of my range...but quite the radio!

VA2PV likes this.
  5. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Now no one will buy flexes and iсoms

W5NOW and G0UUT like this.
  6. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

7700? Dollars? LOL. Flex or 7610 for me.

K7YB likes this.
  7. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Very impressive and well executed.

Despite all the complex features, it actually seems very straight forward to use.

K7YB and VA2PV like this.
  8. SE3X

SE3X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wouldn't dream of paying those money to a realtivelly smal and unknown company. Open Source, well that's nice. But I do prefere doing "business" with Flex and paying for software development. My personal feeling is definitelly that my investment in hardware are much better protected that way. Having invested in two Flex radios; 6700 and 6500, that is very important to me.

KB5CUS and K4AV like this.
  9. N3HKN

N3HKN Ham Member QRZ Page

100% agree with SE3X. They could fold within a year once "angle funds" run out. Perhaps they are banking on a commercial contract. I would have relied on only the software and showed mock-ups of Possible hardware controls/displays. I love SDRs but these things, as well as Icom 7xxx, Flex, etc are way too expensive compared to my DSP Yaesu ft-450D.

KB5CUS and SE3X like this.
  10. SE3X

SE3X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

@N3HKN Hold on to your FT-450D, very nice radio. My first radio was a 450 then the 450D, so much fun we had together and such a competent little radio it is. Hard to find anything better if on a tight budget. Great radio! If I had to sell everything and buy just one radio and the IC7300 would be to expensiv, I would go for the FT-450D any day.

11. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

All companies were once small and unknown.
    I saw only one MB-1 in Kyiv. He stood broken and no one could repair it.
    There are no schematics or service manuals, and firmware is also not available. You can count only on the warranty.
    There was no guarantee for that device.

KB5CUS and VA2PV like this.
  12. AJ2I

AJ2I XML Subscriber QRZ Page

SunSDR2 was there for 3b7a, those guys did awesome!

VA2PV likes this.
  13. AB9TX

AB9TX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Pascal nice video- thank you for sharing. How long does the rig take to boot fully?

VA2PV likes this.
  14. KX2T

KX2T Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Just like the FlexRadio's, NO Schematics or service manuals and that is one very good reason I went for the Icom 7610 besides it also has an excellent SDR RX!

15. K9CQ

K9CQ Guest

This rig has already been out over 2 years. As AJ2I points out, same company that made the SunSDR2 rigs that went to the 3B7A DXpedition. I am pretty sure they will be around a while. A friend has an MB-1 and you can load your logging and digital mode stuff right onto the rig if you wanted to.

VA2PV likes this.