Sun City, AZ covenants out of the HOA area

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K7IQ, Nov 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K7IQ

K7IQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am looking at buying a house in Sun City Arizona. This is a house that does NOT have an HOA.

Does anybody know anything about covenants or restrictions outside of the HOA area ?

Looking around on Google Earth and maps I do see some "ham wires" as my real estate lady calls things like dipoles... I also saw a nice tall tower with an HF beam on it just a few blocks from the house I am looking at on W PINEAIRE Drive.

I will try and call someone on Monday about this but was wondering if anyone here had any information as well.

Thanks,
    boB
    K7IQ

2. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Experienced and reputable real estate agent + real estate lawyer = no problems or surprises. :)

Good luck!

Regards,
    -Bruce

WA8FOZ, KS2G and K7IQ like this.
  3. K7IQ

K7IQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks ! I was hoping not to have to hire a lawyer actually.

But if there is a covenant that says NO ANTENNAS, I would be very discouraged in a non HOA area.

4. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't forget city, county, and state regulations also federal if you're near helicopter pads and airports

5. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

You should always be at the ready to hire two professionals when buying real estate -- a lawyer and a surveyor.

No surprises.

KU4X and K0UO like this.
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You can usually check with City Hall and simply ask to see any existing deed restrictions as well as municipal ordinances, and review them yourself.

WQ4G likes this.
  7. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

If it’s that important to you and you can’t do a thorough title search yourself, hiring a lawyer should be worth it to you.

KJ4VGR, W0FS, WD4ELG and 1 other person like this.
  8. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know about Arizona, but here in Virginia you can suffer antenna restrictions in several different ways, so it helps to check out all of them. HOAs are just one way. Zoning is another. But, and here's the one that is tricky, whoever sold the land to someone prior to your wanting to buy it may have placed restrictions in the deed itself.

When I was first looking at this property I bought in 2013 I quickly determined there was no HOA. I checked with the zoning department and was okay to put up antennas, towers, etc., no problem. So I asked the seller's agent if there were any deed restrictions. She said no. I said please check to be sure. She called me back and she again said no. Then I found a buyer's agent and asked her the same question, and sure enough, there were deed restrictions. The seller's agent was both incompetent and dishonest. My buyer's agent saw right through it.

The good news was that there were no antenna restrictions in those deed restrictions. My deed restrictions have to do with things like size of home, constructions methods, underground utilities, etc. No mention of antennas.

But. Even so, I added a contingency clause to the contract regarding no antenna or tower restrictions. And I had the closing attorney verify everything before I signed the closing papers.

Moral of the story, you have to ask and ask again, just to be sure. And when you are closing, read everything carefully, in case there are deed restrictions hidden in strange places.

W4NNF, WA8FOZ, NL7W and 1 other person like this.
  9. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In a 'new' place like Sun City you probably can do a thorough title search yourself but if you encounter irregularities you might not know as much as a lawyer how to handle it. Not to mention if there is financing involved where the lender would require the real deal.

W0FS and K7IQ like this.
  10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

KD8TUT, WA7PRC, K0UO and 2 others like this.