ad: cq2k-1

Summits on the Air From Dawn to Dusk

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NJ7V, Jan 19, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. NJ7V

NJ7V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hiking and Amateur Radio – my two favorite hobbies. It’s difficult to avoid setting goals for yourself as another year begins. As I was thinking about what I wanted to accomplish this year, the 6 peaks in 12 hours challenge came to mind. This is a challenge of my own making, created to push myself physically, while having fun playing radio. I set out to hike to the top of 6 different Summits on the Air peaks and activate each of them, all within a 12-hour timeframe. As an added challenge, the last peak would be the most difficult, forcing me to dig deep for the completion. Check it out and see if I was up to the challenge.

N0XO, WB5CTS, N3RMC and 7 others like this.
  2. TI3WTI

TI3WTI Ham Member QRZ Page

Great work !!!
    TI3WTI

NJ7V likes this.
  3. EA3BV

EA3BV Ham Member QRZ Page

well done! I am thinking about something like this for this summer, congrats.
    Regards from Barcelona.
    Jon EA3BV

NJ7V likes this.
  4. M6EVR

M6EVR Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

big well done and great video 73

NJ7V likes this.
  5. W7MDN

W7MDN Ham Member QRZ Page

Nicely done and great video. Amazing views.

NJ7V likes this.
  6. K0BZ

K0BZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Bravo and well done! I really enjoyed this video, mostly because you introduced me to all the hiking opportunities around Phoenix. I wasn't aware SOTA was a thing on VHF/UHF FM. Not sure my hiking partner (wife) would sit still for multiple radio breaks on the trail but it certainly would add another interesting activity to the mix (for me). de Brad-WP2B

NJ7V likes this.
  7. IU2IJW

IU2IJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Many compliments for the peaks, forthe activations and for the interesting video!
    Nice mountains there in Arizona, really, I didn't know even that they existed.
    And did not imagine so many people would hike there and climb those peaks, too.
    Many 73s from the Alps de IU2IJW,
    Martino

NJ7V likes this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry I didn't catch the locale...Phoenix or Tucson:)?

NJ7V likes this.
  9. NJ7V

Thanks to you all for your positive comments. I appreciate it.
    W1YW this was in Phoenix.

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Co-ool:)

11. OE5JFE

OE5JFE Ham Member QRZ Page

Good stuff. That's the great thing with SOTA. Everyone can create a personal challenge and have fun with amateur radio.

From my knowledge one of the overall epic achivements in that category was done by Manuel HB9DQM with his Churfirsten (Switzerland) challenge in 2020:
    Activation report can be found here:
    https://reflector.sota.org.uk/t/churfirsten-challenge-six-summits-3700-m-ascent/23238
    3700 m are over 12000 feet elevation gain with 29.2 km (18 miles) walked. All that combined with additional 23 km (14 miles) by bike.
    And every summit activated in HF with a KX2.

73 Joe

NJ7V likes this.
  12. KE8OKM

KE8OKM Ham Member QRZ Page

My first SOTA was on Camelback last June. I was hooked from that day on. I like the idea of 6 in 12h. I know just the place to do it. Thanks for the inspiration!

“73”

Erik
    KE8OKM

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    NJ7V likes this.
  13. KE8OKM

KE8OKM Ham Member QRZ Page

VHF/UHF is certainly alive. I have 90+ activations via those modes in the past 7 months. I’ve been stumped ~7 times and have had to call 3 + hours a couple times for the 4 required QSOs. K0NR who did all VHF Mountain goat has a website dedicated to VHF/UHF SOTA if your interested in reading more about it.

N0DET, K0BZ and NJ7V like this.
  14. NJ7V

Very impressive indeed!
    Charlie NJ7V

15. AE5MA

AE5MA Ham Member QRZ Page

Awesome and congratulations on your accomplishment.

NJ7V likes this.