ad: ProAudio-1

Summertime QRN

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4KYV, Jun 22, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Looking over these lightning maps nearly daily, it appears that summer thunderstorm activity is nearly always higher here in N America than elsewhere in the northern hemisphere, and most of the time higher than elsewhere on the entire planet. Something about our geography in play, particularly the two mountain ranges (Rocky and Appalachia) and the Gulf of Mexico.

During extended stays in Europe and near the tropical zone in East Africa, I never noticed the high level of summertime QRN that we have here.

https://www.lightningmaps.org/?lang...;m=oss;r=0;s=0;o=0;b=;n=0;d=2;dl=2;dc=0;ts=0;

https://www.iweathernet.com/lightning

http://en.blitzortung.org/live_lightning_maps.php

K0UO and K4AGO like this.
  2. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, I thought I was nuts coming to a similar conclusion about the quantity of lightning strikes in North America compared to the rest of the world.

There has to be a reasonable explanation for this.

K4AGO likes this.
  3. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Politics

N1VAU, K1SZO and W4IOA like this.
  4. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

The country with the highest frequency of lightning is the UK (according to the Weather Channel).

As for North America, we live in the lightning capitol and it effects my golf schedule in Summer far more than radio stuff. On the 'bright' side, it keeps the ground conductivity pretty high and the greens soft so there is are advantages.

K9ASE, K9DEG and W4IOA like this.
  5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Lightning Les, not thermonuclear fusion.

6. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Though it plays havoc with radio I do enjoy the weather respite when the storms roll through. And another benefit is I don't have to drag the water hose around.
    We have daily thunderstorms in the forecast for the next 7 days, though the past few days they are a 2-3am occurrence here.

7. K4AGO

K4AGO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

In this part of the south, the Appalachian mountains funnel a lot of moisture from the Gulf of Mexico up through Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, and on up the East Coast. We never get snow unless the cold dry air from the N, NW meets the warm moist Gulf air on the Eastern side of the Appalachians.

I'm thinking (guessing) that the same sort of weather patterns come into play with thunderstorms. Weather normally moves West to East because of (another guess) the Earth's rotation. There are exceptions such as Tropical Depressions moving off the coast of Africa; across the Atlantic and sometimes forming hurricanes.

But, climate change cycles take thousands of years as evidenced by the Great Lakes which were once glaciers and will be again as the climate cycles that way again in the future. Thank goodness. Today is the second full day of summer and I am tired of the heat already. I just hope this heat helps wipe out COVID 19. Hummmm That moved from West to East too (for the most part.)

Can we blame the thunderstorm QRN on the Chinese too? Probably not.

8. K4AGO

K4AGO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

These maps are extremely interesting. Thank you for this information.

9. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Better than earthquakes

K4AGO, K0UO, N7AHE and 1 other person like this.
  10. WG8Z

WG8Z Ham Member QRZ Page