Summerkamp/ Yaesu fl dx 2000

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by KM4YTW, Jan 6, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KM4YTW

KM4YTW Ham Member QRZ Page

Can anyone tell me what is the output watts PEP
    for this amp ? I picked one up for next to nothing. I know it's no good for AM .
    Thanks.

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

3. KM4YTW

Thank you Dave , much appriciated. Looks like about 400 watts out.

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

And at that, probably pushing those sweep tubes pretty hard. I'd be more inclined to not push it all the way.

Dave
    W7UUU

5. KM4YTW

I have a couple questions about capacitors in this amp. I have 2 damaged doorknob 3kv caps, one is in the final compartment 5000pf . One is a dc blocking 70pf . Is there a substitute for the doorknob type ? Or does the one in the final compartment have to be doorknob type

6. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

They need to be Doorknob type capacitors as they have to handle the RF current, not just the high Voltage.

That Amp is quite rare, as it was soon replaced by the FL2500 and the FL2000B.

The FL2500 had FIVE 6KD6 valves . . . and also covered 160m.

The FL2000B was a much better design, using a pair of 572Bs . . . the FL2100 and FL2100B is exactly the same amp, but in a case that matched the FT101.

The problem with the FL2000 and FL2500 is that the 6KD6 has a built-in fuse in the lead to the Anode top cap (inside the glass envelope). So what happens in these Amps is that first one Valve pops it's anode lead, meaning the rest are working harder . . . then another pops . . . etc etc !!

I was a Yaesu engineer when these Amps were current models.

Roger G3YRO

7. G3YRO

Also meant to say that actually the FL2000 will give about 600 watts output . . . the FL2500 will give about 750 watts output.

Roger G3YRO

8. KM4YTW

Now the million dollar question, is there still a place where i can purchase these? I didnt know about the fused caps on the sweep tubes. I just opened it up and one of the three filter caps has EXPLODED , it looks like a freaking bomb went off inside , paper and gunk plastered all over everything.

9. G3YRO

When colour TVs used 6KD6 valves, they were readily available, and very cheap . . . (which is why Yaesu used them in these Amps, and in rigs like the FT401 Transceiver)

These days they are like finding hen's teeth !

Roger G3YRO