Summer 146.520 Challenge!!

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by W8CEN, May 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KE0FBQ

KE0FBQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Good to know stuff. Thanks for the tips. I drive an 18 wheeler as my retirement job, can't sit in a house.

2. KD8PPH

KD8PPH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I leave it on in my car when out and about. I made contact with a gentleman over the weekend operating portable solar power from the top of a hill.

K9ASE likes this.
  3. K7MFC

K7MFC Ham Member QRZ Page

146.520 MHz is active every day here in Phoenix, AZ. I sometimes monitor during my commute and it's rare to not hear someone on there in the morning or afternoon. If I go up any nearby mountain peak, I can hear a plenty of simplex traffic on 146.520 all around the city.

4. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A couple guys on .520 now

5. KM4BDH

KM4BDH Ham Member QRZ Page

dx on 2M is totally hilarious i really needed the Laugh. Ill try CQing DX on 2M just 2 get a reaction. Cheers

6. KN4DNY

KN4DNY Ham Member QRZ Page

I live within 10 miles of I95 in SC near Ga. I hear stuff all the time on .520. Not dead by any means.

7. NC4A

NC4A Ham Member QRZ Page

Just returned from a five month 14,000 mile Truck Camper trip that took us through 20 states and five Canadian Provinces.
    I did hear some 52 simplex, and of course hundreds of repeaters... Unfortunately, many of the busy repeaters were on Freqs and PL's that I had not
    set up. Given the distraction of resetting the radio while driving a six ton vehicle in busy traffic, I just listened, or turned the radio off.

Just wondering,... How do others find the 'Right' freqs and PLs to pre-program when driving cross country. ( i.e. Which repeaters are actually active?)

8. AF9US

AF9US XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Harry:

If you have a D-STAR radio with GPS, it's possible to find D-STAR repeaters within range (which you designate). Whether you can program your D-STAR radio with frequency, offset, and CTCSS tone with a single key depression on the radio, I don't know. I've played with D-STAR repeaters on my handheld radio only while I was a passenger. Looking at the screen of repeaters takes too much attention from driving. My mention of D-STAR radios is there might be a suitable option available, researching the details of D-STAR DR mode is required. There are several generations of D-STAR radios to investigate.

Prior to the accidental discovery of DR mode for D-STAR, I would program repeaters with offset and tones only for places where I'll spend the night and at my destination. During most of my long trips by motorcycle or car I would listen to 146.52 MHz. In my pickup truck, I listen to MidCars, SouthCars, and other nets on HF, in order to catch a net, I'd print the frequency and time (in the time zone I expect to be in at the time of the net) on a piece of paper. The 40 meter band is my favorite mobile band, 20 meters is my next favorite. In my opinion, HF works out to be a more enjoyable companion on long trips than VHF or UHF. Just spin the dial to the next frequency or conversation.

Regards,
    Bernie
    AF9US/W6

9. KN4GEX

KN4GEX Ham Member QRZ Page

I monitor 146.520 most of the time when I am at the house and have made quite a few contacts there. I also call out on it regularly and use it for local talk with family that are hams. I will say that once I built a ground plane and put it at 35' it became much more active.

10. WE6C

WE6C Ham Member QRZ Page

Sometimes there's more monitoring than transmitting. If you're driving, when you get up on a hill/peak throw your call out there.