ad: w5yi

Summer 146.520 Challenge!!

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by W8CEN, May 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
  1. KE0FBQ

KE0FBQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Good to know stuff. Thanks for the tips. I drive an 18 wheeler as my retirement job, can't sit in a house.

2. KD8PPH

KD8PPH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I leave it on in my car when out and about. I made contact with a gentleman over the weekend operating portable solar power from the top of a hill.

K9ASE likes this.
  3. K7MFC

K7MFC Ham Member QRZ Page

146.520 MHz is active every day here in Phoenix, AZ. I sometimes monitor during my commute and it's rare to not hear someone on there in the morning or afternoon. If I go up any nearby mountain peak, I can hear a plenty of simplex traffic on 146.520 all around the city.

4. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A couple guys on .520 now

5. KM4BDH

KM4BDH Ham Member QRZ Page

dx on 2M is totally hilarious i really needed the Laugh. Ill try CQing DX on 2M just 2 get a reaction. Cheers

6. KN4DNY

KN4DNY Ham Member QRZ Page

I live within 10 miles of I95 in SC near Ga. I hear stuff all the time on .520. Not dead by any means.

7. NC4A

NC4A XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just returned from a five month 14,000 mile Truck Camper trip that took us through 20 states and five Canadian Provinces.
    I did hear some 52 simplex, and of course hundreds of repeaters... Unfortunately, many of the busy repeaters were on Freqs and PL's that I had not
    set up. Given the distraction of resetting the radio while driving a six ton vehicle in busy traffic, I just listened, or turned the radio off.

Just wondering,... How do others find the 'Right' freqs and PLs to pre-program when driving cross country. ( i.e. Which repeaters are actually active?)

8. AF9US

AF9US XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Harry:

If you have a D-STAR radio with GPS, it's possible to find D-STAR repeaters within range (which you designate). Whether you can program your D-STAR radio with frequency, offset, and CTCSS tone with a single key depression on the radio, I don't know. I've played with D-STAR repeaters on my handheld radio only while I was a passenger. Looking at the screen of repeaters takes too much attention from driving. My mention of D-STAR radios is there might be a suitable option available, researching the details of D-STAR DR mode is required. There are several generations of D-STAR radios to investigate.

Prior to the accidental discovery of DR mode for D-STAR, I would program repeaters with offset and tones only for places where I'll spend the night and at my destination. During most of my long trips by motorcycle or car I would listen to 146.52 MHz. In my pickup truck, I listen to MidCars, SouthCars, and other nets on HF, in order to catch a net, I'd print the frequency and time (in the time zone I expect to be in at the time of the net) on a piece of paper. The 40 meter band is my favorite mobile band, 20 meters is my next favorite. In my opinion, HF works out to be a more enjoyable companion on long trips than VHF or UHF. Just spin the dial to the next frequency or conversation.

Regards,
    Bernie
    AF9US/W6