Summer 146.520 Challenge!!

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by W8CEN, May 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WE6C

WE6C Ham Member QRZ Page

That works. I've had many QSO's on 146.52 doing this very same thing. If you get nothing try again in a minute or so.

2. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've had 4 already today with folks heading to Dayton

W7UUU likes this.
  3. WD5IKX

WD5IKX Ham Member QRZ Page

I find someone on .52 from time to time while traveling but I spend most of my time on HF when mobile. I don't have any trouble finding someone to talk to there.

John WD5IKX

4. KC5SAS

KC5SAS Subscriber QRZ Page

I have heard it all before, "146.520 is dead so I don't even monitor it"

Dude, whoever tells you that is not radio active. 52 simplex is not dead, hasn't been dead, never died. The only people who say it is are people who are using substandard antennas in valleys, surrounded by pine trees, on low power, inside the house and who turn the radio on once a week, throw their call out, wait 30 seconds and turn the radio back off.
    There's plenty of activity on 52. There are even nets held every week here on that frequency.

5. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

146.52 is always monitored when I am mobile or doing something at home on my computer (like now). Frankly on multi-state trips in my SUV I often hear more activity and make more contacts on .52 than on local repeaters. In my mobile I also scan the 440, 6 meter and 10 meter simplex channels but, sadly, hear little activity even when there are openings on 6 & 10

6. WD3N

WD3N Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Every day to and from work.
    I hear some rfi next to the high intensity led sign.
    I hate that thing for two reasons now...:mad:

7. KC5AKB

KC5AKB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

52 is alive and well .
    I have found some tropo on 52 it is fun to see if you find anyone you never know till you try some weeks no one other weeks
    A few contacts

N1VAU likes this.
  8. K0UO

K0UO Ham Member QRZ Page

Driving all the way to Dayton Hamvention this year we only loged 2 contacts on 52 and I think one on the way back from our KS QTH.
    Every year there seems to be less and less Simplex trafficon the highways. The only thing you can do is keep monitoring five to encourage others to do the same and every once in awhile you'll have a very pleasant contact. I drive about 10 or 15 thousand miles a year with the RV also. Kenwood has those monitoring 146.52 stickers and I haven't plastered on all my bumpers. In the winter time at Quartzsite Arizona I do have numerous contacts on Simplex specially at the quartz Fest

9. KI0E

KI0E Ham Member QRZ Page

We plan on monitoring on our trip next month to the Yellowstone area.
    Kim Gross
    KI0E

10. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

My scanner has .52, but not much action.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo