ad: KF7PMW-1

Summer 146.520 Challenge!!

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by W8CEN, May 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-assoc
  1. W8CEN

W8CEN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey hams! I have heard it all before, "146.520 is dead so I don't even monitor it". I too, have driven between Ohio and Florida many times and haven't heard a peep, even after throwing my call sign out there.

I have a challenge for everyone. I hope many of you choose to accept it. If you think it's dumb then don't listen to it and carry on. Flaming isn't necessary. Here goes...

With travel season coming quickly, I challenge as many people as possible to monitor and/or scan 146.520 while you are out and about, even at home. We will be camping this summer (starting in 2 weeks) in places around Ohio, Indiana, and Michigan. I plan on monitoring 146.520 while traveling and while at the campground. Of course, I have a list of frequencies for local repeaters that cover Skywarn and ARES as well. Doesn't every good ham?!

So, please, while out and about, listen to 146.520 and get some conversation going. Who knows, maybe you'll make new contacts, pass the time, save a life? Who knows!? But we won't know until we try. It's free, low tech, and maybe fun?!

I have posted this on my personal Twitter page. Feel free to follow me @garberinc and use the hashtag #146520 to help spread the word.

Thanks for your time and willingness to help out. You know, the ham radio waves may be dead in places, but have you thought about why? Several reasons, I suppose. But the biggest is because we aren't on them. Let's get active and light up the air this summer!

Have fun!

Jamie W8CEN
    @garberinc

KE0FBQ and AG6QR like this.
  2. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Folks are much more likely to make contacts if they say something more than "K4XYZ monitoring"!

Be a bit expansive. Sound enthusiastic in your call. Mention your location; perhaps your direction of travel or something interesting about yourself or ask a question! This works well on all those silent 2m repeaters too.

W0GSQ, KE0FBQ and KC1IGS like this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Indeed. I even juice it up along this line: "This is Dave W7UUU listening for anyone else stuck in the I5 mess near McChord. W7UUU Monitoring"

Dave
    w7UUU

KE0FBQ, WA7PRC and AC0OB like this.
  4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Calling CQ DX on 2 meters gets a lot of attention.

KE0FBQ and KG5ZNG like this.
  5. K5BBC

K5BBC Ham Member QRZ Page

I just did 2,300 miles through WY, SD, ND, WY, ID. 146.52 was not dead. That being said, it's easy for me to monitor and still play on other freqs on trips with 2 dual banders and an XPR5550.

KE0FBQ likes this.
  6. K5BBC

K5BBC Ham Member QRZ Page

LMAO. And you're correct.

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I do that on the local repeater here, Just for grins. :D

Someone in the UK answered me once and sent me a QSL card. :)

The Saltgrass link system originating in Texas works very good all around the world.

KE0FBQ likes this.
  8. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just a tip - a lot of us scan 25 to 50 channels when in the shack. If you put your call out there - hold the key open for 2 or 3 seconds - then talk, give your call multiple times and note if you are looking for a contact. Then identify the frequency you are on so we can call you back. A location is also helpful for those of us with beams -" KQ0J mobile eastbound on I-80 mile 344, anyone around on .52 for a quick QSO ? Kq0j listening 52. "

AC0OB, KB4QAA, WE6C and 1 other person like this.
  9. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

Just this afternoon, I was running errands with my mobile rig turned on and scanning through my normal list of frequencies, including some repeaters and 146.52. A hiker with an HT on a local ridge called out a CQ on 146.52, and I answered. We had a nice short chat, but it ended as I drove over a different ridge, putting too much dirt between us to maintain contact effectively.

Not 30 seconds after we signed off, I heard a different ham, not calling CQ, but calling one of his friends on 146.52.

The frequency almost felt crowded.

10. WB9RBS

WB9RBS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi All,

We have put over 9,000 miles over the past two years on our RV, travelling between Ohio, Florida, Arizona, and all points in-between. My call sign and 146.52 are prominently displayed on the back of the RV, in the event any hams moving faster than my lane-clogging 65mph, pass and decide to give me a shout.
    I've made many, many calls out, especially when in more populated areas, and have yet to have any QSO's.
    I did hear two hams talking to each other while we were passing through Tulsa a few weeks ago, but the signals were too weak for me to join in.
    Hmmm, maybe it's time to go back to 40 mtrs mobile!