ad: CQMM-1

SukkOTA - Sukkahs On The Air

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by 4Z1UG, Oct 8, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. 4Z1UG

4Z1UG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

SukkOTA FB 1 Logo.png

The Jewish holiday of Sukkot, also known as the festival of booths, where many Jews build Sukkot to live in during the week-long festival. Scott Rosenfeld, N7JI, sent me a message with the suggestion that we should have an activity called Sukkahs on the air, or Sukkota, similar to parks on the air during the week of the holiday. Participating is easy. Jews have a mitzvah or commandment to entertain guests in their sukkah during the holiday from the evening of October 9th to October 16th, 2022. Find a Jew with a Sukkah, ask if you can bring amateur radio to their sukkah, preferably between meals. Make three contacts, post the info and upload a picture to the Facebook page of you operating in the Sukkah. Scott and I see this as a win-win situation for everyone involved, especially as it exposes ham radio to communities that might not know about our amazing hobby. We hope that this will evolve into an annual event.

Facebook Page: https://fb.me/e/2NXMezRzQ

Eric Guth, 4Z1UG
    qsotoday.com

W8VTN, WZ4K, W1AST and 18 others like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Sukkot is a perfect time to try a...

wait for it...

CORNTENNA!

CornTenna.. Will it QSO? | QRZ Forums

Man, last time I built a 'sukky' we had to use sledgehammers to knock it down:) Then we had a bon fire...

Guess that dates me...now you can buy kit frames!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
    4Z1UG, AJ6KZ, G3SEA and 4 others like this.
  3. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

>>> Add some Lima beans and you'll have a Sukkotashtenna. <<<

4Z1UG, KO5V, W1AST and 3 others like this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

No doubt.

I have to say, the worst dish (from the shtetl) I was ever served was boiled chicken , boiled with lima beans. Every Sunday as a kid. Specialty on Sukkot.

I...hate... lima. beans!

Yechhh!

;-)

WZ4K and KI5UXW like this.
  5. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My wife makes the best Plaki bar none (Greek Lima bean stew)---can't wait for the next time she makes up a big pot! :D

W1YW likes this.
  6. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

GREAT IDEA!!

Just be sure to refer to "Amateur Radio".

I don't think "ham" would be appropriate during Sukkot.

73 de Jim, N2EY

4Z1UG, WA8FOZ, HA2ZB and 15 others like this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Just ..not...

wait for it)

Kosher!

--One who knows;-)

K3SX and N2EY like this.
  8. KF0FBK

KF0FBK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm gonna git you Sukkah! ;)

AJ6KZ, AK5B and W1YW like this.
  9. K1IO

K1IO Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder if I could load up a lulav, perhaps with a loading etrog. More seasonally appropriate than a corn stalk! :)

KB9ENS, W1AST, K3SX and 1 other person like this.
  10. K3IK

K3IK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

chag sameach. great idea. think I will call CQ sukkota on 30 FT8. or maybe 60, to get some activity going. look for me. been a kosher ham for 66 years now. Have to look for the chaverim again. used to have many late night QSOs with 4x on upper end of 20.
    Will have to stop by and say shalom next time I am in the neighborhood visiting my son and the whole mishpacha.
    with a little adjustment the lulav should work on 2m just don't expect too many answers. and turn the side "veggies" down to use as radials. question tho, pitom up or down. and what bracha do I say?

W1AST and K3SX like this.
  11. KO4TXV

KO4TXV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What a cool idea! I am Christian with a number of friends who celebrate the Jewish holidays and have never heard of this holiday. Maybe next year I can get with my Jewish friends and celebrate with them as well as share our hobby.

KC1HLU, KE6MAK, KF7WIS and 1 other person like this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Sukkos is a holiday with true pertinence to 'today'. It can be looked at as a medieval holiday championed by Ashkenazi Jews from the Pale. Its origins celebrate harvest and joy, and harps back to the 40 years of wandering by the Tribes, after their escape from slavery in Egypt. A 'sukky' is a temporary 'lean to' or related open-hut typically built, and certainly decorated, by materials and symbols of the harvest, usually done historically by Jews in the shtetls of eastern Europe.

The Pale was a region encompassing mostly Ukraine Poland and Russia and its 'satellites' in which Jews were practically confined,in the Tsarist Russian Empire, much likethe origins of a Native American 'reservation'. Clearly, both bad ideas!

In 2022 all Jews are reminded of the confinement by the Pale, with the war in Ukraine by Russian attempts to rebuild an empire (most of the Pale is now Ukraine),and the evil of slavery is still brought to the fore in 'woke' initiatives.

Never forget!

4Z1UG is reminding us that communication leads to common ground and common ground leads to friendship--for all. That is very much the spirit of the holiday:)

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
    4Z1UG, KC1HLU, G3SEA and 9 others like this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

'Sook', not 'suck'.

Sooo-KOSE.

:)

W1AST and KF0FBK like this.
  14. KG4KZG

KG4KZG Ham Member QRZ Page

That makes Simchas Torah around the corner.

15. KQ4AJI

KQ4AJI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why wait once a year for Sukkot? Do them all!

Make it FOTA (Festivals on the Air). QUS all and get a certificate !
    • Pesach (The Passover) This is the foundational feast. ... March April
    • Unleavened Bread. This feast was to last for 7 days. ...
    • First Fruits. ...
    • Shavuot (Pentecost or Feast of Weeks) ... May June
    • Rosh HaShanah (Feast of Trumpets) ... September
    • Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement) ... September / Oct
    • Sukkot (Feast of Tabernacles) ... September / Oct
    • Purim... March

KB9ENS, W1AST, N9DWL and 1 other person like this.