Suggestions for small Auto-tuner for Yaesu FT-891

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KM4GGH, Feb 21, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KM4GGH

KM4GGH Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello all,

I just bought a Yaesu FT-891 radio and was browsing around for a small LDG tuner.

I have a LDG Z100 that i used with my Icom 7000, but I am now looking for something similar in size for this radio which I intend to use in a Go box I would like to build..

I would like the radio's tuner button to command the tuner to tune as it does with my IC-7000.

Wondering if there is something out there like that.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff in Savannah, Ga.

2. N2ELI

N2ELI Ham Member QRZ Page

Ever find anything? Find myself in the same boat.

3. KF5PAL

KF5PAL Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the FT-891. I use a LDG Z-100+. It has one button and pressing that starts the tune cycle. You can not start the tune cycle from the radio but, this is the best solution I have found so far. The tuner connects easily with 1 small cable and runs forever off of internal AA batteries.

4. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, the LDG has 2 separate "automatic" settings.

I set mine to automatically retune if the SWR exceeds 1.5:1. You do have to provide voltage to the LDG, A simple external battery/ cable will work

5. VE3WI

VE3WI Ham Member QRZ Page

MFJ sells a cable to make their MFJ-929 tuner work with the FT-891. Also their catalog says the MFJ-939Y is compatible.

GL
    Dave, VE3WI

6. AB3LI

AB3LI Ham Member QRZ Page

how did you did that

7. N1CLC

N1CLC Ham Member QRZ Page

I use the MFJ-939Y. It was as if it was made for it. Tuning initiated from the radio when you push the button and it will kick off when out of tune (you change band but forget to tune), power from the comm cable between radio and tuner.

I want something smaller and lighter, like the Z-817. :(

8. G6YYN

G6YYN Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought the Click to Tune dongle from Sotabeams for my Yaesu FT897, once set up all it takes is a double press of the PTT to reduce power output and change mode to tune the SGC237.
    Don’t know if the FT891 uses the same Cat commands as the FT8*7 series of radios but it works a dream with my portable 40mt full wave loop set up.

Ken

9. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

Does the LDG-100 switch to CW, lower power, tune and reset to original power/mode? Using the accessory cable of course. I am wary of anything that does NOT lower power automatically. If the "100" doesn't, what does do this...LDG, MFJ...whatever.
    I ask because both LDG and MFJ info is rather sketchy regarding the 891.

10. N2ELI

N2ELI Ham Member QRZ Page

yes it does