suggestions for newby

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by KK4RSV, Apr 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

From May 2000 and it was 1000' I was buying and not 500'.

Carl, km1h: I've had minimal problem with insulated stranded ( not house wire), usually #10 or 12 tinned and 19 strands or more. Stretch has been insignificant.
    For serious use between the tops of pine trees I use #12 solid and insulated CopperWeld, also known as rural telephone line wire. The black insulation is known as APS...Anti Percipitation Static and it does a good job in rain or snow. Even then I use a pair of heavy duty door springs to act as shock absorbers.
    The worst stuff Ive used for antenna wire is stranded CopperWeld. A few years in NE acid rain and it rots and unravels.

Carl, km1h: Several asked where to get rural telephone wire that is #12 insulated Copperweld
    Since I'm basically lazy, here is a one short reply.
    I've bought mine in 1000' to 5000' lots; they will put up on 500' rolls at no charge which makes it nice for group buys.
    I purchased the extra high conductivity version....more copper I guess.
    I've used it here for Beverages and regular wire antennas that needed strength and percipitation noise reduction.
    You can get a catalog from:
    Clifford Wire, 1-800-451-4381, in Vermount.
    Web site: http://www.cliffordvt.com/

David Robbins, k1ttt: Just don't ask for Copperweld when you call them, they'll have no idea what you are talking about.
    What you are looking for from them is "Line Wire, Single Conductor IMSA spec 28-3". They describe the conductor as 'copperweld' or 'copperply' and the insulation as black hdpe. They have 12ga and 10ga in the catalog I have.
    The standard reel length is 5000', but they will cut shorter lengths.
    I have been using this stuff for years for beverages, inverted V's, and verticals. it holds up to everything, including ice, trees falling on it, bears flossing with it, and moose running into it.

Back to 6/15/19:

Clifford was bought out by
    https://www.ourherald.com/articles/clifford-of-vermont-purchased/

I havent been able to track down any current info.

Carl