suggestions for newby

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation - AM Fans' started by KK4RSV, Apr 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: DLSpec-1
  1. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem was you were trying to sell at hamfests.

That is a one way ride to Plookaville.

2. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I've never understood the attraction "vintage SSB" has on some hams.

K4KYV likes this.
  3. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

:)

I guess the alternative is on-line selling. While festers have their disadvantages, the cash-to-me/you-carry aspect is attractive compared to smash-and-ripoff online.

4. WB2GCR

WB2GCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Seriously, a TS-820 isn't worth very much these days... neither is a TS-520.
    Consider that a brandy new ICOM 7300 is under $1,000, making used ones lower, is $400 for
    the 820 realistic? Otoh a clean TS-440 with the ant tuna is around $400. People seem to like
    the Yaseu 101E but I'm not fond of them... rather have the 44o myself. YMMV.

5. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

I prefer the "festers" as well and it is caveat emptor either way.

Pheel

6. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

"Vintage SSB" = oxymoron

K4KYV likes this.
  7. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

With a very few exceptions, "vintage" slopbucket rigs are the worst examples of tin-can quality, super-spaceshuttle audio. Most modern day SSB transmitters can be made to sound fairly decent if a good microphone is used and the rig is loaded properly to the antenna, and of course, precisely tuned in on the receiver.

8. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Great audio in many cases especially from phasing rigs. Some filter rigs also have expanded audio compared to most of the SS crap OTA these days.
    I often use a CE 100V and HT-32B and never fail to get great audio reports using a D-104. A vintage NCL-2000 helps clear the riff raff:D:p Both also do very well on AM.

9. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

But low-cost filter rigs like the Tempo One, Heathkit Hotwater rigs, Heath SB series and Galaxies etc. tended to sound atrocious. Even more modern rigs running cheap stock hand mikes often sound like tin-can telephones or worse, not to mention when the 'processor' is turned on. What is disconcerting is that so many SSB operators are perfectly happy with an ultra-space shuttle/EAS-alert voice quality that is irritating to listen to, like running one's fingernail across a blackboard.

The primary limitation of the phasing type generator is the audio phase-shift network. Practical affordable designs can be expected to hold an accurate 90° shift over a limited frequency range, so the audio response was deliberately held to around 300-3000~ to avoid opposite sideband products that would show up beyond that range. Some of to-day's SDR rigs and rigs with DSP have controls to adjust audio frequency response, and some are capable of <100~ to 10,000~ audio response with full opposite sideband suppression. When I got my synchronous detector up and running, I was surprised at how good SSB is capable of sounding, not to say that most slopbucketeers take full advantage of that capability. A few ESSB ops carry this to ridiculous extreme, with so much bass that the lowest frequency components of the voice signal act like a BFO that demodulates the rest of the signal, making the signal clearly understandable on a diode detector with the BFO turned off.

10. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

My "antique" TS-950SD can be switch set to 3000 Hz but in reality it is closer to 3300. There is also a mod to TX thru the 12 KHz LC filter which I have not done.
    I use it on SSB and AM since it is a real hassle to get to the switch bank. With 250 and 500 Hz filters in both IF's it is also a great CW rig for serious digging.

There are some fine sounding tube type SSB transceivers, the NCX-3 with a generous 6 pole filter and NCX-5 using a 2.8 KHz 8 pole with a wide 1.7 shape factor among them. Many Swans sound good also while Drakes tend to be too sharp.