ad: vanity

suggestions for newby

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation - AM Fans' started by KK4RSV, Apr 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Carl's photos support the opinion that "Real tubes have handles!". LOL.

KM1H and KK4RSV like this.
  2. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

Real tubes have lifting attachments.
    upload_2019-4-28_15-31-7.jpeg

KK4RSV, KA0HCP and KD2ACO like this.
  3. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I like the "Radioactive" warning sticker too... adds a touch of intrigue.

KK4RSV and W2VW like this.
  4. KK4RSV

KK4RSV Ham Member QRZ Page

WOW!

5. KK4RSV

no loads full quarter waves on both bands on both antennas.

AD5HR likes this.
  6. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

Darrell,
    Dave, W5GQF, has a Johnson Ranger listed on the Texoma AM Traders net.
    Described as "looks like new" for $300, and a 75A2 with filters and calibrator
    for $250.
    I think the Ranger would sound great driving your amp.
    Jon
    p.s. www.texomatradersnet.com

KK4RSV likes this.
  7. KK4RSV

thanks for the info Jon. I think I am going to give the ft101e a go and see how it will do. Right now I am out of town so its gonna be a couple or 3 weeks before I get to try anything. I also have a kenwood 830s . Not sure how it would be on am. Yes I like tubes hahahaha.

AD5HR likes this.
  8. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

The Kenwood TS-830S is a CW/SSB only Hybrid transceiver.

It has a solid-state receiver and exciter (can you say, "plethora of dual-Gate Mosfets?") with three tubes, a 12BY7A driver and two 6146's as the finals.

I sold mine over two years ago since I rarely engage in SSB.

Pheel

KK4RSV likes this.
  9. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

About a year and a half ago I bought a number of items that were part of an estate, as a favor for a friend. There were perhaps two things I wound up keeping, one a pair of Cetron 572Bs out of a SB200 that was badly damaged, (a friend fixed it up, put tubes in it and sold it) and an oscilloscope. The rest of the stuff I hauled to hamfests and sold off over time. One was a TS830, or it could have been an 820, can't remember the difference between them, but it did not have the digital display which, given the state of digital frequency displays in the early 1980s, I considered to be a plus. It did have what I was told was the rare Kenwood CW IF filter (which no one cared about) and it worked okay SSB and CW on all bands. I also had the matching separate VFO. Some hams(?) asked why a separate VFO. I started out with $400 for the pair because they were in good shape; really looked almost new and no problems. I schleped those two, to every hamfest all spring and summer eventually splitting them up and at the very last fest of the outdoor season, the one you were at Phil last September, finally unloaded that plastic radio for $150. It was an education. Some folks acted like anything with 5 kc dial resolution was unusable. Most had zero interest in anything you had to manually tune up (horrors!). And I'll never buy and liquidate an estate again, especially slopbucket gear I have zero interest in. You just never know. I expected the plastic radio to go first, and it turned out to be the very last thing I had from that estate. If I had not sold it last September I would have given it away just to get rid of it.

K4KYV and KK4RSV like this.
  10. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked someone who put one of those Kenwood rigs on AM and it sounded great.
    I do not remember how he did it and it must have been a bit of work.

I sure would not want a vintage ssb rig.
    I had a KWM2a a while ago and thought it was a big pain in the butt to actually operate.

KK4RSV likes this.